Accessing Work Site with Mozilla on Ubuntu: How to Trick the Server?

In summary, there is a certain website that can only be accessed using Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, causing inconvenience for those using other browsers. However, there are plugins available that allow the user to change their browser identification and potentially gain access to the site. It is also suggested that the website may use an ActiveX control, which would only work in IE. A recommended plugin is available on the Firefox add-ons store.
waht
A certain website from work can only be accessed using internet explorer 6.0 or higher. I'm on ubuntu all the time and can't access it using mozzila. I've grown tired switching back to XP just to view the site which is in text only pretty much. So is there a way to trick the website somehow, and get in under mozzila? And how does the web server detect what browsing you are using?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The browser sends an identification string called the useragent string.
In opera you can select what it identifies itself as - often the site will technically work in other browsers but the server just checks for IE and then throws you out.
There are a bunch of plugins to identify mozilla as different browsers, google for useragent or cloaking plugin.
It might be the site uses an activeX control that WILL only work in IE but this is unlikely.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

Might help.

It is a very useful tool to view the webs who restrict Fx users to access or only allow using a particular browser to access.

by WhoeverIam 3000 on January 4, 2009

It works, that plug in is very nice, you can change it to be seen as any browser.

Related to Accessing Work Site with Mozilla on Ubuntu: How to Trick the Server?

1. How do I access a work site using Mozilla on Ubuntu?

To access a work site using Mozilla on Ubuntu, you can follow these steps:1. Open Mozilla on your Ubuntu operating system2. Type in the URL of your work site and hit enter3. If prompted, enter your login credentials4. You should now have access to the work site.

2. Why am I unable to access the work site on Ubuntu using Mozilla?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to access the work site on Ubuntu using Mozilla. Some possible reasons could be:- Incorrect URL entered- Server maintenance or downtime- Network connectivity issues- Firewall or security settings blocking access- Incompatible browser or operating systemWe recommend checking your internet connection and ensuring that the URL is correct before troubleshooting further.

3. Is there a way to bypass the server and still access the work site on Ubuntu?

It is not recommended to bypass the server and access the work site on Ubuntu as it may violate your company's security policies. However, if you have permission from your IT department, you can try using a virtual private network (VPN) or a proxy server to access the site.

4. Can I use any other browser besides Mozilla to access the work site on Ubuntu?

Yes, you can use other browsers like Google Chrome, Safari, or Opera to access the work site on Ubuntu. However, make sure that the browser is compatible with Ubuntu and that you have the necessary plugins or extensions installed.

5. What do I do if I encounter an error while trying to access the work site on Ubuntu using Mozilla?

If you encounter an error while trying to access the work site on Ubuntu using Mozilla, you can try the following steps:- Refresh the page- Clear your browser's cache and cookies- Restart your browser and try again- If the error persists, contact your IT department for further assistance.