If bacteria didn't have any food, would it die?

In summary: The article doesn't mention anything about "species" of bacteria.In summary, bacteria in a "normal" condition may continue to exist, but in a dormant or spore form.
icakeov
Hi!

Is there any research or experiments that show what happens to bacteria that in normal conditions end up without any food to consume?

Do they continue to exist? And if yes, in which form?

Many thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Many thanks for your response jedishrfu.

I was particularly interested in what would happen if the conditions were "normal". That is, with higher temperatures that don't slow down the motion of the bacteria's molecules. Basically, if a bacteria floated in a petri dish of distilled water for example, or on a piece of rock, with nothing to consume.

When resources become limited, bacteria may form very resistant spores. It is a response to the environment.
Example: Clostridium tetani, the tetanus causing bacteria, create spores that are resident in horse manure.
Which is why horsemen and those who care for horses are strongly encouraged to get regular tetanus antitoxin innoculations on a fixed schedule.

Likes symbolipoint, icakeov, berkeman and 2 others
I saw this line on the Biological Immortality Wiki page:

"Many unicellular organisms age: as time passes, they divide more slowly and ultimately die. Asymmetrically dividing bacteria and yeast also age. "

I am a bit confused by this. Is it that one of the "daughter cells" is "older" and will eventually die? Or are both "daughter cells" "older"?
- If it is the former, how can one cell be "older" than the other?
- If it is latter, how is it possible that this species could survive into the future. Wouldn't all the cells just get old and die?
I can't figure out what I'm missing.

p.s. I was thinking of starting a new thread, but I figured, this was close enough to the original post.

icakeov said:
I saw this line on the Biological Immortality Wiki page:

"Many unicellular organisms age: as time passes, they divide more slowly and ultimately die. Asymmetrically dividing bacteria and yeast also age. "
The whole quote fro wiki,
Quote:
Many unicellular organisms age: as time passes, they divide more slowly and ultimately die. Asymmetrically dividing bacteria and yeast also age. However, symmetrically dividing bacteria and yeast can be biologically immortal under ideal growing conditions.[14] In these conditions, when a cell splits symmetrically to produce two daughter cells, the process of cell division can restore the cell to a youthful state. However, if the parent asymmetrically buds off a daughter only the daughter is reset to the youthful state—the parent isn't restored and will go on to age and die. In a similar manner stem cells and gametes can be regarded as "immortal".
UnQuote.

Please re-read, paying special attention to "asymmetrically dividing", "symmetrically dividing".

Likes BillTre and DaveC426913
Was a recent article about seabed sediments and critters living 14km below sea-bottom, but existing at such a slow rate of time that they only use 1 attowatt/sec as opposed to our 100 watt system that most surface and light dwellers use. Some actually survive on the uranium and other radioactives splitting for energy to live on. So there are some rather extreme extremophiles, but unless something happens to thrust that sediment from it's resting place, most of them critters are doomed to be lost mineral formations in the sedimentary concretions.

Likes BillTre and icakeov
Thanks Steelwolf!

Thanks 256bits.

The only way I can wrap my head around this is if the case is that cells can divide either "asymmetrically" or "symmetrically" in their lifetimes, depending on the time and conditions, which I realize is the case. In my mind was that if some bacteria consistently divided asymmetrically, how would their species survive with constant aging and dying?

I am guessing the overall "positive rate" of "youthful states" in all of life is what keeps life from not "aging" and then eventually collectively dying?

I just found the term "increased proteostasis" in this article that I am guessing refers to this "rate"

Last edited:
The answer depends a lot on the type of bacteria. Some bacteria are able to form spores under conditions of stress (e.g. nutrient deprivation or dehydration) whereas others are not capable of forming spores and will die upon nutrient deprivation.

For example, the common gut bacteria E. coli, which is studied by many laboratories, does die off under conditions of nutrient deprivation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_growth#Phases

Likes Laroxe, BillTre and icakeov
icakeov said:
Hi!

Is there any research or experiments that show what happens to bacteria that in normal conditions end up without any food to consume?

Do they continue to exist? And if yes, in which form?

Many thanks for any thoughts
It's just a small thing and I am not not picking, it is just that I have seen this in the press also.
Bacteria is plural, bacterium is singular.

1. What is the role of food in bacteria survival?

Bacteria require food to carry out essential metabolic processes, such as respiration and reproduction. Without food, bacteria would not be able to sustain their cellular functions and would eventually die.

2. Can bacteria survive without any food?

No, bacteria cannot survive without any food. While some types of bacteria can enter a dormant state when food is scarce, they still require some form of nutrition to survive.

3. How long can bacteria survive without food?

The survival time of bacteria without food varies depending on the type of bacteria and environmental conditions. Some bacteria can survive for a few days, while others can remain dormant for years until a food source becomes available.

4. What happens to bacteria when they run out of food?

When bacteria run out of food, they will enter a dormant state or die. In some cases, bacteria may also release spores that can withstand harsh conditions until a food source is available again.

5. Can bacteria adapt to survive without food?

Some bacteria have evolved to survive in environments with limited or no food sources. They may have specialized mechanisms, such as forming biofilms or utilizing alternative energy sources, to sustain themselves in these conditions.