1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If c = A· E, then A - cE = 0.

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E be any unit vector, that is a vector of norm 1. Let c be the component
    of A along E. We saw that c = A·E. Then A - cE is perpendicular to E, and A = A - cE + cE
    Then A - cE is also perpendicular to cE ...

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I just cant seem to figure where they got A - cE = 0 from. Everyone just shows A - cE = 0 is true on its own instead of showing if c = A·E, then A - cE = 0* which is what I think the author means by "We saw that c = A·E. Then A - cE is perpendicular to E".

Please, elaborate a little. Thanks.

edit: * if c = A·E, then A - cE · E = 0

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2
    Eh? Where does it say A - cE = 0? Are you trying to prove that A-cE is perpendicular to E?

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3
    Oh yeah, A - cE . E = 0

My bad.

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4
    You mean (A-cE)·E=0, I suppose. Geometrically, if E is a unit vector, then is cE not the vector component of A along E? So what is A-cE?

EDIT: heh, I wrote something silly, so I had to delete it

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  6. Mar 16, 2014 #5
    My book has the picture of this situation. Geometrically it's clear that A-cE is a vector perpendicular to E and cE.

A = A - cE + cE by parallelogram law. But why do we need A = A - cE + cE to see that A-cE is also perpendicular to cE when (A-cE)· E=0 implies (A-cE)· cE=0?

E·E = 1.

7. Mar 16, 2014 #6
    Yeah, that second part I wrote is clearly rubbish, so I deleted it. The scalar product of three vectors is nonsense, because the product of two is a scalar.

A = A - cE + cE because -cE+cE=0. I think the point about A = A - cE + cE is that A = (A - cE) + cE, i.e. the vectors A, (A-cE) and cE form a right-angled triangle, with A as the hypotenuse. This is obvious geometrically, and I don't know what more is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted