If f(a)=g(a) and f(b)-g(b), prove they will have parallel tan lines

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that at some point in the interval [a,b], two differentiable functions f and g will have parallel tangent lines if they have the same values at the endpoints. It is suggested to use the Mean Value Theorem and to consider the function H(x) = f(x) - g(x). By setting f'(c) and g'(c) equal to each other, it can be shown that f(b)-f(a)=g(b)-g(a) is a sufficient condition for the result to hold.
NWeid1

Homework Statement

(a) If f and g are differentiable functions on the interval [a,b] with f(a)=g(a) and f(b)=g(b), prove that at some point in the interval [a,b], f and g have parallel tangent lines.

(b) Prove that the result of part a holds if the assumptions f(a)=g(a) and f(b)=g(b) are relaxed to requiring f(b)-f(a)=g(b)-g(a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the rules. What have you tried?

I haven't, really. I know that by graphing specific examples I can intuitively confirm that it is true. But I'm struggling on how to rigorously prove it.

Judging from your recent posts you have recently studied a theorem that has expressions like f(b)-f(a) in it haven't you?

Mvt?

Yes. Here's my last hint before hitting the sack: Try applying that theorem to H(x) = f(x) - g(x).

Should I use f'(c)=(f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) and g'(c)=(g(b)-g(a))/(b-a)? Then how should i relate them to each other? Set them equal?

You've already said "f(a)=g(a) and f(b)=g(b)" so it is not necessary to "set them equal", they are equal!

What is the meaning of "parallel tan lines"?

Parallel tan lines refer to two lines on a graph that have the same slope at different points, meaning they never intersect. In other words, they have the same rate of change.

How can f(a)=g(a) and f(b)=g(b) result in parallel tan lines?

If f(a)=g(a) and f(b)=g(b), it means that the two functions have the same value at two different points, a and b. This also means that the slope of the tangent lines at these points will be the same, resulting in parallel tan lines.

What is the mathematical proof for parallel tan lines?

The mathematical proof for parallel tan lines involves using the derivative of the two functions at the given points to show that they have the same slope. This can be done using the slope formula or the derivative rules for finding slopes of tangent lines.

Can two functions have the same slope at all points?

Yes, two functions can have the same slope at all points, resulting in parallel tan lines. This can happen if the two functions have the same rate of change or if they have the same derivative function.

How can parallel tan lines be useful in real-world applications?

Parallel tan lines can be useful in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where they can represent the motion or behavior of two related quantities. They can also be used to determine the optimal angle for a ramp or the trajectory of a projectile.