If Partial derivatives exist and are continuos then function is differentiable

In summary, the conversation is about finding a proof for the theorem stating that if the partial derivatives of a function are continuous at a point, then the function is differentiable at that point. The person asking for the proof mentions that their lecturer mentioned it in passing but never provided a proof. They also mention the Newton quotient and speculate that the proof may involve the mean value theorem. Another person suggests looking in a calculus textbook for the proof.
rshalloo

Homework Statement

Hi I'm just looking for a link to the proof of this theorem:
if the partial derivatives of function f exist and are continuous at a point then the function is differentiable there

Or even the name would be helpful
Its not a homework assignment per say, just something that our lecturer said mentioned in passing but never gave a proof of and I would like it just for the sake of completeness :P

Homework Equations

Well I think the Newton quotient is [ f(a+h,b+k) -(h)f(a,b+k)-(k)f(a+h,b) ]/Sqrt[h^2+k^2]
(for 2 variables anyway)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that it involves the mean value theorem but I'm not entirely sure :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Any good Calculus text will have that proof- but I think it is too long and complicted to be given here.

(By the way, the phrase is "per se"- "of itself".)

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you determine if a partial derivative exists?

A partial derivative exists if the limit of the difference quotient of the function with respect to the variable in question exists. This means that the function must have a defined slope at that point.

3. What does it mean for a partial derivative to be continuous?

A partial derivative is continuous if it is defined and has a consistent value at every point in the domain of the function. This means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the slope of the function.

4. What is the relationship between differentiability and continuity?

If a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous. However, a continuous function may not necessarily be differentiable. This is because differentiability requires the existence of a slope at every point, while continuity only requires a consistent value at every point.

5. How can we use the existence and continuity of partial derivatives to determine if a function is differentiable?

If a function has continuous partial derivatives, it is differentiable at every point in its domain. This is because the existence and continuity of partial derivatives ensures that the function has a defined slope at every point, satisfying the criteria for differentiability.