Solving Trigonometric Equations: sin(θ) = 3/5

In summary: Doing so will lead to a ban from the site.In summary, it is against forum rules to provide a complete solution to a question, or to help with homework.
MathRaven
Spending my summer studying on my own, and I have come across some things which I would like to see how they are solved.
If you are capable of completing, please show work instead of just answers so that I can follow what you did, and take notes on it.

Homework Statement

If sin(θ) = 3/5 and θ is in Quad II, determine in EXACT form the following

a) sin(θ + π/6)

b) cos(5π/3 - θ)

c) cos(20)

d) csc(π/2 - θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your course offer any double angle forumas or angle sum formulas?

Clearly theta is part of a 3-4-5 triangle, which means that cos(theta) = 4/5.

These can all be solved by employing a set of trigonometric identities known as the sum and difference formulae, which tell you how to compute the sine or cosine of the *sum* (or difference) of two angles. Are you familiar with these identities?

cepheid said:
Clearly theta is part of a 3-4-5 triangle, which means that cos(theta) = 4/5.

Take into account the fact that the angle is in the second quadrant.

Villyer said:
Take into account the fact that the angle is in the second quadrant.

Good catch, I missed that.

well this is just me studying on my own, not really a course. . I want to study during the summer, and at some point in the future try to place.

Most of the things make sense, but I do have a list of problems that I haven't been able to complete.

I would like to see how you guys do them. .looking for answer, and how you got there, so i need to see the work for it.

MathRaven said:
Spending my summer studying on my own, and I have come across some things which I would like to see how they are solved.
If you are capable of completing, please show work instead of just answers so that I can follow what you did, and take notes on it.

Homework Statement

If sin(θ) = 3/5 and θ is in Quad II, determine in EXACT form the following

a) sin(θ + π/6)

b) cos(5π/3 - θ)

c) cos(20)

d) csc(π/2 - θ)

Is that symbol supposed to be pi?

MathRaven said:
well this is just me studying on my own, not really a course. . I want to study during the summer, and at some point in the future try to place.

Most of the things make sense, but I do have a list of problems that I haven't been able to complete.

I would like to see how you guys do them. .looking for answer, and how you got there, so i need to see the work for it.

Even if this is not actual homework, it's still against forum rules for us to provide a complete solution for you. We've given you an important hint: if you're learning on your own, then look up the sum and difference formulas: how might they be applied to this problem? Answer that question, and you'll be on your way.

To e^ipi + 1 = 0: yes, that symbol is the way lowercase pi looks in the default forum font. If you use times roman, it looks a bit better: π

MathRaven said:

Unfortunately we aren't supposed to do the work for you, we can only give you hints and pointers.
Look up the double angle formulas and the sum and difference formulas.
(cepheid beat me to this point)Also, do you understand how to find cos(θ) from the information given?

MathRaven said:
That's not the way it works here at Physics Forums.

The following is from the Rules (click Rules near the top of the window). Emphasis added.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation with a sine function?

To solve a trigonometric equation with a sine function, you can use the inverse sine function or the unit circle. The inverse sine function, also known as arcsine, will give you the angle that has a sine value of the given ratio. On the other hand, the unit circle method involves graphing the sine function and finding the points where it intersects with the given ratio.

2. What is the unit circle and how do I use it to solve trigonometric equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used to represent the relationship between the trigonometric functions and the angles in a right triangle. To use it to solve trigonometric equations, you will graph the sine function on the unit circle and find the points where it intersects with the given ratio.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function to solve trigonometric equations. You can enter the given ratio as a decimal or fraction and use the inverse sine function (usually denoted as sin^-1 or arcsin) to find the angle that has that sine value. However, it is always recommended to understand the concepts and methods of solving trigonometric equations by hand before relying on a calculator.

4. What is the general solution for a trigonometric equation with a sine function?

The general solution for a trigonometric equation with a sine function is the set of all possible solutions that satisfy the equation. This is because the sine function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself after a certain interval. Therefore, there can be infinite solutions to a trigonometric equation with a sine function. The general solution is usually expressed as θ = sin^-1(r) + 2πn or θ = π - sin^-1(r) + 2πn, where n is any integer.

5. Are there any special angles that can be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are special angles that are commonly used to solve trigonometric equations. These include the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 degree triangles, which have special ratios for their sine, cosine, and tangent functions. You can also use the reference angles, which are the angles formed by the terminal side of the given angle and the x-axis. They are usually used to find the general solution for a trigonometric equation.