If you had/have a Lab in your home, what would/does it contain?

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
The title really says it all.

Answers and Replies

cmb
You have things that help you investigate what you are interested in!!

The main 'feature' of mine is a hand-made vacuum chamber connected by a zillion plumbing parts to pumps, gauges, gas feeds and wotnot, and then 4 racks of parts; pipework, engineering materials for construction, basic hand tools, electronics, power supplies and miscellaneous electrical measurement and test gear.

It'd be different for someone else interested is something else! I'm sure a bench and a few bottles and chemicals would light someone else's interest.

wukunlin
Gold Member
too many things to list

but i'll start off with an oscilloscope

cmb
If you are going to do any more electronics than wire a plug, I agree. I bought one of those cheap £200 digital 'scopes recently. It has 25MHz sampling with FFT function and peak hold... superb for the money. Recommend to anyone, either beginners in electronics, or old-timers looking for a back-up 'scope.

DoggerDan
My old lab contained a sink, a counter top jammed with some flat, rectangular pans, a taught wire strung across the room, and this vertical sort of project-like thing with a lens and bellows.

My new lab is just some software on my computer.

I'm talking about a photo lab, of course. :)

I love digital for its results, but I miss tinkering around in a humid darkroom.

turbo
Gold Member
Think of all the gear that you would need to test, repair, and restore 50's and 60's era tube-driven guitar amps. That's what I've got, plus all kinds of parts - tubes, caps, resistors, diodes, etc. The O-scope isn't getting used any more, so I probably should consider selling it, along with most of the parts.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The title really says it all.
Compact fast reactor, compact thermal reactor, high temperature furnaces (vacuum and gas-filled) of various sizes, an experimental fusion device, mechanical testing machines (including tensile and creep), impact test machines, electron microscopes, atom microprobe, X-ray diffraction device, vacuum chambers of various sizes, plasma thrusters, workstations, multi-kilo core or mega core computational system, synchrotron, . . . .

And that doesn't include the biology/agriculture lab.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dog chow. A *lot* of dog chow.