If you had/have a Lab in your home, what would/does it contain?

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Lab
In summary, this person has a lot of different types of equipment and tools for doing different types of experiments. They also have a photo lab where they can do experiments with digital technology.
AJKing
The title really says it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have things that help you investigate what you are interested in!

The main 'feature' of mine is a hand-made vacuum chamber connected by a zillion plumbing parts to pumps, gauges, gas feeds and wotnot, and then 4 racks of parts; pipework, engineering materials for construction, basic hand tools, electronics, power supplies and miscellaneous electrical measurement and test gear.

It'd be different for someone else interested is something else! I'm sure a bench and a few bottles and chemicals would light someone else's interest.

too many things to list

but i'll start off with an oscilloscope

If you are going to do any more electronics than wire a plug, I agree. I bought one of those cheap £200 digital 'scopes recently. It has 25MHz sampling with FFT function and peak hold... superb for the money. Recommend to anyone, either beginners in electronics, or old-timers looking for a back-up 'scope.

My old lab contained a sink, a counter top jammed with some flat, rectangular pans, a taught wire strung across the room, and this vertical sort of project-like thing with a lens and bellows.

My new lab is just some software on my computer.

I'm talking about a photo lab, of course. :)

I love digital for its results, but I miss tinkering around in a humid darkroom.

Think of all the gear that you would need to test, repair, and restore 50's and 60's era tube-driven guitar amps. That's what I've got, plus all kinds of parts - tubes, caps, resistors, diodes, etc. The O-scope isn't getting used any more, so I probably should consider selling it, along with most of the parts.

Beer.

AJKing said:
The title really says it all.
Compact fast reactor, compact thermal reactor, high temperature furnaces (vacuum and gas-filled) of various sizes, an experimental fusion device, mechanical testing machines (including tensile and creep), impact test machines, electron microscopes, atom microprobe, X-ray diffraction device, vacuum chambers of various sizes, plasma thrusters, workstations, multi-kilo core or mega core computational system, synchrotron, . . . .

And that doesn't include the biology/agriculture lab.

Dog chow. A *lot* of dog chow.

1. What kind of equipment would be in your home lab?

If I had a lab in my home, it would contain basic laboratory equipment such as beakers, test tubes, pipettes, and microscopes. It may also have more specialized equipment depending on the type of research I am conducting.

2. Would you have any safety precautions in place?

Yes, safety is a top priority in a lab setting. I would have safety equipment such as gloves, lab coats, and safety glasses available. I would also have protocols in place for handling hazardous materials and proper disposal methods.

3. How would you maintain the cleanliness of your home lab?

I would have a strict cleaning schedule in place to ensure the lab stays clean and free of any contamination. This would include regularly disinfecting surfaces and properly disposing of waste. I would also have designated areas for storing and handling different materials to prevent cross-contamination.

4. What kind of experiments would you conduct in your home lab?

The type of experiments I would conduct would depend on my area of expertise and research interests. It could range from basic science experiments to more complex studies in biology, chemistry, or physics.

5. How would you balance your home lab with other responsibilities?

As a scientist, time management is crucial. I would set aside specific times to work in my home lab and prioritize my other responsibilities accordingly. I would also make sure to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance.