I'm a freshman with sophomore knowledge. Should I join research?

In summary, The person in the conversation is a freshman majoring in physics and has extensive knowledge in the subject due to preparing for the Physics Olympiad. They have not started taking physics classes in college yet and are advised to start research as early as possible. They plan to focus on a cross between physics and computer science research and are advised not to be cocky in approaching professors for research opportunities.
Kuhan
I'm a pHysics major freshman and I know lots of college physics and math, lots of which I don't get to skip in college.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuhan said:
I'm a pHysics major freshman and I know lots of college physics and math, lots of which I don't get to skip in college.

How do you know you really know these things?? It's easy to think you know something, but that doesn't mean you actually do.

http://img.spikedmath.com/comics/232-how-much-math-do-you-know.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, you're the person who doesn't attend \ skips lectures. How do you expect a professor to take you in for research if you don't even attend his\her lectures?

I was preparing for Physics Olympiad so I spent lots of time doing practice problems. I even did the challenge problems (I think for nearly every chapter) for Physics.

WannabeNewton said:
If I'm not mistaken, you're the person who doesn't attend \ skips lectures. How do you expect a professor to take you in for research if you don't even attend his\her lectures?

It's like my 6th week of college, I haven't even started taking Physics classes so the Physics professors don't know my... thing

Kuhan said:
I was preparing for Physics Olympiad so I spent lots of time doing practice problems. I even did the challenge problems (I think for nearly every chapter) for Physics.

Challenge problems in what book?? A book like Kleppner of Spivak, or a book like Halliday?

Kuhan said:
It's like my 6th week of college, I haven't even started taking Physics classes so the Physics professors don't know my... thing

I don't get it. You're doing a physics major right?? How can you major in physics without taking physics classes yet??

Sears and Zemanskys.

I'm on quarter system, doing calculus, chemistry and english this quarter

I would say the summer after your freshman year you can get into research, at least that's when I started it and I wasn't ahead in terms of classes just very motivated. Also, my school highly recommended getting into research as early as possible so there were always professors asking for students interests.

I would shoot for a cross between physics/CS type research that way if you have any coding skills they can use you and then you can slowly build your knowledge of math/physics in your classes along the way. I can't speak for experimental groups because I've never been in one of those, maybe others can give advice for that. I would avoid the hardcore theory groups. They're usually reserved for extremely talented young students or upper class men because the knowledge base is quite large.

The best thing you can do right now is just ask professors, the worst they can say is no but at least they know you're interested. Don't let the other posters demotivate you from pursuing a goal but please don't be cocky when you ask professors. I know you think you're ahead of the game but you're only slightly ahead. At my school, we had a couple "2nd year" undergrads taking grad classes.. they were ahead.

What is research?

Research is a systematic investigation or inquiry into a specific topic or area of study. It involves collecting and analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and contributing to the existing body of knowledge in a particular field.

Why should I join research as a freshman?

Joining research as a freshman can provide you with valuable experience and skills that will benefit you in your academic and professional pursuits. It can also help you explore your interests and potential career paths.

Do I need prior experience to join research?

No, prior experience is not necessary to join research as a freshman. Many research opportunities are specifically designed for students with little to no experience, and mentors are typically willing to train and guide new researchers.

Will joining research affect my grades?

It is possible that joining research may require some time and effort, which could potentially impact your grades. However, many students find that the skills and knowledge gained from research actually improve their academic performance.

What types of research can I participate in as a freshman?

There are various types of research that you can participate in as a freshman, such as laboratory research, literature reviews, field studies, and data analysis. It is important to explore different options and choose a project that aligns with your interests and goals.