I'm guessing Mythbusters, Big Bang Theory, and Numbers are popular show around here.

• Thread starter razerfish
  • Start date
Am I right?

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
I know Numbers is not popular, haven't heard anyone mention Big Bang theory, probably Mythbusters would be the popular one although not because they are right, people point out what they do wrong many times..

siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've seen a few episodes of Big Bang Theory. Funny at times, but stereotyped.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've seen a few episodes of Big Bang Theory. Funny at times, but stereotyped.
It is a VERY stereotyped show. It perpetuates the all too common view of scientists as completely anti-social nerds. While we all have met someone like that, the majority of scientists do not fit into that stereotype. I sure don't, at least I don't think I do!:smile:

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Never seen big bang. But if you think stereotypes of nerds wait till the British show 'The IT crowd' makes it over there!

I think Mythbusters divides between the "Thank Dawkins - a show about scientific method" and the "but they didn't properly account or the second order effect of ..." crowds.

I just found out recently that only one of the mythbusters has a science background. I thought for sure Jaime would have some advanced engineering or physics degree, but no. He has a degree in Russian, and I think Literature.

The only one with a science degree -- electrical engineering -- is Grant. Not surprised by this, and no, not because he's Asian. Because he seems the smartest, always does the math for the group, and always builds the robots. The others are basically builders, sculptors, artisan types. Blew me away when I learned that. Figured they were all of bunch of engineers or something. Still love the show, though.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just found out recently that only one of the mythbusters has a science background. I thought for sure Jaime would have some advanced engineering or physics degree,
I think that is evidence of how far science/engineering has fallen in modern life.
If somebdy on a show was reading a book we wouldn't think, wow they must have an english lit degree.

The show doesn't have a lot of advanced physics it has "if we want to measure X we should only change one thing at a time and see what effect it has" thinking. This shouldn't require a physics PhD

I suspect there are a couple of researches who say - if you want to throw a catapult X m you are going to need Y force and Z tons of pickup truck and since it is in the USA a lot of safety advisors and lawyers!

The others are basically builders, sculptors, artisan types. Blew me away when I learned that.
Exactly the types of people that fiddled around and invented the steam engine, motor cars and the aeroplane a 100years ago.
I think they do have a lot of years practical experience in special effects.

Mk
Big Bang Theory?
No way.

That program makes fun of geeks and nerds every show. pokes fun at the physicists for being intelligent and not "plainfolks."

I don't see how any of the Mythbusters should have gone to a university studying engineering or physics. The show has a very nice air of "looking for the truth" and explains science in a cool way, which is something many scientists can't do very well. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
wolram
Gold Member
What is all this about a big bang?

I watch Mythbusters all the time.

I have never heard of Big Bang Theory (the show that is).

I watch Numb3rs every week.

Mythbusters rocks. Numb3rs is pretty good too, although some of the stuff they've been throwing around in more recent episodes has started to border on Trek-like technobabble. I only wish I could throw together mathematical models and computer simulations in mere days like they do on the show.

Anybody watch Smash Labs? Tries to follow a slightly more serious track than Mythbusters. After watching the first few episodes of it, I don't think I like it all that much.

I think the stereotypes in Big Bang Theory are the point of the show. Like the dork getting the hot chick.
I havent seen Numbers yet, but I enjoy Mythbusters

Evo
Mentor
I don't know if Numbers has improved, but it was awful when it first came out.

Heh, from one of the threads on "Numbers"

Numbers is on tonight. Tvguide's show description "The outcome (of a botched police shoot out) disturbs Charlie and he retreats into the family garage to work on an unsolvable math problem that he also plunged into after his mother became ill a year earlier".

I know I always head into the garage when I do math.

Perhaps Charlie will read tv guide and realize that the math problem he is working on is unsolvable and turn his efforts to something more productive?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=444445&postcount=23

No, Smash Labs is kinda dumb. Entertainment value is low, IMO.

Tv? I dont watch tv. (Though Ive seen a lot of mythbusters and I thought it was a good show just becuase its fun to see if myths are true or not.)

I saw numbers one time, and it was horribly stupid. Ive never even heard of big bang theory.

Generally all the TV I watch is on the Science Channel.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I love Big Bang. It's hilarious.

I don't care much about the stereotype. It's funny!