I'm have such a hard time with tension

In summary, tension is a physical concept that involves the transfer of force between two or more objects using physical intermediaries. It is not just the net force, but also takes into account the relationship and design of the system.
regmcube
I'm have such a hard time with "tension"

I know a few things about tension, but it never really came through to me.

i know that "tension is the same in every part of one string, and pulleys just change the direction of the force."

At first i thought tension was just the net force, but i guess not! Can someone please explain tension super-thoroughly? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My definition: Tension is a physical concept between two or more physical objects(or object aspects) utilizing one or more physical intermediaries to transfer application of force.
Even the internal tension of a compressed spring, for example, is characterized by the relationship between spring "segments" So, tension is never unitary.
In short, tension sets-up a transfer of force in a physical system. To what degree the force is actually transferred is dependent on system design.

Related to I'm have such a hard time with tension

1. How does tension affect our bodies?

Tension can cause physical symptoms such as muscle tension, headaches, and increased heart rate. It can also lead to feelings of stress and anxiety.

2. What causes tension?

Tension can be caused by various factors including stress, fear, and uncertainty. It can also be a result of physical strain or psychological issues.

3. How can tension be managed?

There are various techniques for managing tension such as exercise, relaxation techniques, and talking to a therapist. It is important to find what works best for you.

4. Can tension be a positive thing?

In small amounts, tension can be a helpful motivator and can increase our focus and productivity. However, too much tension can have negative effects on our mental and physical health.

5. Is there a difference between tension and stress?

While tension and stress are often used interchangeably, they are not the same. Tension refers to the physical and psychological strain in response to a specific situation, while stress is a more general feeling of being overwhelmed or unable to cope with demands.