1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm have such a hard time with tension

1. Jan 18, 2004 #1
    I'm have such a hard time with "tension"

I know a few things about tension, but it never really came through to me.

i know that "tension is the same in every part of one string, and pulleys just change the direction of the force."

At first i thought tension was just the net force, but i guess not! Can someone please explain tension super-thoroughly? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2004 #2
    My definition: Tension is a physical concept between two or more physical objects(or object aspects) utilizing one or more physical intermediaries to transfer application of force.
    Even the internal tension of a compressed spring, for example, is characterized by the relationship between spring "segments" So, tension is never unitary.
    In short, tension sets-up a transfer of force in a physical system. To what degree the force is actually transfered is dependent on system design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook