Im having trouble analyzing this circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter think4432
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the ECG circuit uses upper two opamps to form a differential amplifier for the sensed ECG/EKG voltage. The lower right inverting amp actively forces the common-mode voltage of the patient to zero/ground, keeping the voltages within the input common-mode range. The requirement of resistors in specific places is necessary to prevent leakage voltage and to ground the patient's leg to obtain electrical potential. High and low pass filters also play a role in filtering out unwanted signals. To design a sensor system that won't saturate the op amp's inputs, one must consider the extreme differences in potential and design accordingly.
think4432
I'm looking at this ECG circuit in particular and I am having trouble analyzing it...

The ECG circuit and the driven right leg circuit to cancel out the noise.

I am a little bit confused on what exactly the r1, the op amp and r2 do...

And the values that are generally given to build something like this...

Can anyone help me out here? In great detail... perhaps?

Thank youuu.

Attachments

• ECG.gif
    ECG.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 739
  • Allo Circuit Driven Right Leg.jpg
    Allo Circuit Driven Right Leg.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,125
Physics news on Phys.org
think4432 said:
I'm looking at this ECG circuit in particular and I am having trouble analyzing it...

The ECG circuit and the driven right leg circuit to cancel out the noise.

I am a little bit confused on what exactly the r1, the op amp and r2 do...

And the values that are generally given to build something like this...

Can anyone help me out here? In great detail... perhaps?

Thank youuu.

The upper two opamps form a differential amp for the sensed ECG/EKG voltage. The average of these two voltages are fed into the lower right inverting amp to actively force the common-mode voltage of the patient (Pt) to zero/ground. This helps to keep the voltages going into the differential amp opamps within the input common-mode range of the opamps.

It seems that another alternative might be to hard-ground the Pt. Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of using this circuit versus just hard grounding the Pt's right ankle?

(Thread moved from EE to HH/Engineering)

berkeman said:
...It seems that another alternative might be to hard-ground the Pt. Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of using this circuit versus just hard grounding the Pt's right ankle?
Safety?AD620.PDF

Last edited:
berkeman said:
The upper two opamps form a differential amp for the sensed ECG/EKG voltage. The average of these two voltages are fed into the lower right inverting amp to actively force the common-mode voltage of the patient (Pt) to zero/ground. This helps to keep the voltages going into the differential amp opamps within the input common-mode range of the opamps.

It seems that another alternative might be to hard-ground the Pt. Can you see any advantages/disadvantages of using this circuit versus just hard grounding the Pt's right ankle?
I understand the Driven Right Leg circuit thanks to your explaining to an extent, but why is the requirement of resistors in the places that they are placed necessary? And what values of these resistors would be suitable? High values for some? Low for others? I am not fully understanding how they contribute to the circuit... Also, if we are not grounding the patients right ankle, what are we grounding? I do not see the advantages/disadvantages of it...?

Also can you give me some insight on the ECG circuit with AD620 as well? After this one?

You have been great help for my understanding on the differential op amps!

Thank you in advance!

Xitami said:
Safety?

AD620.PDF

Is this because if we did not do this, the circuit would produce a lot of leakage voltage?

Also the leg is grounded to obtain electrical voltage?A small voltage is set up across the electrodes by the hearbeat/pulse . This voltage is sensed by the sensor/electrode and is fed to the input of the amplifier. [From a little more research]

How does high pass and low pass filters play a role in this?

Xitami said:
Safety?

No.

The average voltage gradient in open air is about 200 volts over 6 ft height. There are extreme differences in potential, including AC potential from the lines between a pacient and equipment, even in a room. Your op amp with +/-6 volt rails is only equipped to deal with about 6 volts of this.

How do you design a sensor system that won't saturate your op amps inputs?

1. How do I approach analyzing a circuit?

When analyzing a circuit, it is important to first understand the basic components and their functions. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. It is also helpful to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit to visually see the connections.

2. What tools can I use to analyze a circuit?

There are several tools that can aid in analyzing a circuit, such as a multimeter to measure voltage and current, a breadboard to prototype the circuit, and simulation software to test different configurations. You can also use a circuit solver app or software to calculate values and simulate the behavior of the circuit.

3. What should I do if I encounter unexpected results when analyzing a circuit?

If you encounter unexpected results, double check your calculations and measurements. Make sure all the components are connected correctly and that there are no loose or faulty connections. You can also try simplifying the circuit by breaking it down into smaller parts and analyzing each part individually.

4. How can I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working as expected?

If a circuit is not working as expected, check for any faulty components or connections. You can also try changing the value of a component or adjusting the circuit design to see if that makes a difference. Additionally, using a circuit simulator can help identify potential issues without risking damage to physical components.

5. What resources are available for further assistance with circuit analysis?

There are many online resources available for circuit analysis, including tutorials, videos, and forums where you can ask for help from other experts in the field. You can also consult textbooks or consult with a colleague or mentor who has experience with circuit analysis. Additionally, reaching out to the manufacturer of specific components or devices can provide valuable insights and troubleshooting tips.