Exploring Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power

In summary, the conversation discusses different disciplines that could be beneficial for studying solar power, including electrical engineering, physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering, and business or economics. The original poster is planning to pursue a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering but is unsure if it is the right fit for solar power. Other individuals in the conversation suggest that EE is a good field for solar cell research, while others argue that chemistry and materials science may be more closely tied to actual PV development. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the interdisciplinary nature of studying solar power and the potential for various fields to contribute to its advancement.
dumpman
i am planning to go for a bachelor in electrical engineering, but I am not sure if it is right for solar power.

Physics news on Phys.org

dumpman said:
i am planning to go for a bachelor in electrical engineering, but I am not sure if it is right for solar power.

It would be a fine start, IMO.

Going into physics and getting into condensed matter might also be a good path.

For photovoltaics I would also say EE.
For things such as solar heated boilers or wind energy I would say ME.
For alternative fuels I would say ChemE.

I don't know how it is broken down at other schools, but here at A&M they have different tracks for EE's. My bet would be an EE on the power tract would be your best bet.

Nick M said:
For photovoltaics I would also say EE.
For things such as solar heated boilers or wind energy I would say ME.
For alternative fuels I would say ChemE.
I concur. Also relevant courses in materials (materials science & engineering) would be beneficial.

#1 discipline in my opinion for photovoltaics is chemistry followed closely by material science. Although condensed matter physics and electrical engineering aren't a bad way to go either but most of the development being done is by chemists. Every PV seminar I have gone to have been by inorganic and organic chemists.

I'm going to take a different approach and say business or economics (or even political science). You can make improvements in PV efficiency with the chemistry or EE majors, but that is not why PV don't have any successful large-scale practical power applications. But if you really want to solve technical problems related to large-scale power applications from solar energy in general then I would recommend working on energy storage rather than solar energy itself.

#1 discipline in my opinion for photovoltaics is chemistry followed closely by material science. Although condensed matter physics and electrical engineering aren't a bad way to go either but most of the development being done is by chemists. Every PV seminar I have gone to have been by inorganic and organic chemists.

Could not disagree more. Chemists may do the "way out there" stuff, but the people doing practical work are engineers. MSE and EE are the two best fields for getting into solar cell research, in my opinion. I base this on the fact that the majority of the faculty working on solar cells at my institution are EE's.

I can't vouch for chemists and how closely they are tied to photovoltaics, but I do agree with FirstYearGrad in that EE will set you up nicely for this and many EE professors I know are involved with solar cells.

FirstYearGrad said:
I base this on the fact that the majority of the faculty working on solar cells at my institution are EE's.

Are they working on the actual PV cells or just related components of it (i.e. current collectors, control systems, substrates, etc)? The majority of PV work done at my institution has been done by EEs as well but none of their research projects are actually developing new cells. The latest and greatest actual PV development IMO is in the area of dye-sensitized solar cells, much which involves finding new inorganic materials for catalysts and redox shuttles. Both things that are typically done by chemists and physical chemists and not EEs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sensitized_solar_cell
(check where the references are from)

One of my advisors is a professor of organic chemistry whose research focuses on development of useful porphyrins for eventual use in solar cells. This is just another aspect of the materials science side of things.

1. What is a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power?

A Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power is a degree program that focuses on the study and application of electrical engineering principles for the development and utilization of solar power technologies. It combines the fundamentals of electrical engineering with specialized coursework in solar energy systems and technologies.

2. What kind of coursework is involved in a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power?

The coursework for this degree program typically covers topics such as electrical circuit analysis, renewable energy systems, power electronics, solar energy conversion, and energy storage technologies. Students will also learn about the design, installation, and maintenance of solar power systems.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power?

Graduates of this degree program can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including renewable energy companies, utility companies, and government agencies. They may work as solar energy engineers, electrical engineers, project managers, or energy consultants, among other roles.

4. Is a Bachelor in Electrical Engineering for Solar Power a good choice for someone interested in sustainability?

Yes, this degree program is a great choice for individuals interested in sustainability. It combines the principles of electrical engineering with a focus on renewable energy technologies, which are essential for promoting sustainable and clean energy sources.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed for this degree program?

A strong background in mathematics and physics is recommended for this degree program, as well as an interest in renewable energy technologies. Students should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as strong communication and teamwork abilities, which are essential for success in the field of electrical engineering.