What Factors Affect the Color of a Star from Earth?

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the color we see when looking at a star depends on its relative motion away from Earth and the surface temperature of the star.
ranger
Gold Member
Hey all,

What really contributes to the color of a star as we see it from earth? I've some articles which state that the doppler effect plays a role in this. As stars move away from us, the color appears towards to red end of the spectrum and moving closer to us; towards the blue end. I also gathered that the surface temperature of the stars affects this. Example our sun with a temperature of 6000 K, has a yellowish color.

Now I conclude that there are two things that affect the color, its relative motion towards or away from the Earth and the surface temperature of the star. But can't the two effects give misleading data? For example, if a star is moving away from us (doppler effect) how can we deduce the surface temp? The way I see it, the doppler effect will give a facade; not showing true color as it relates to surface temp.

--thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right; the Doppler effect (as well as several other effects) need to be controlled if we want an accurate estimate of the surface temperature of the star!

It turns out that the light we receive from the star gives us enough information to account for the Doppler effect -- do you want to try and work it out yourself? The key is that stars don't emit just one frequency of light -- as you know, our own Sun (literally) emits every color of the rainbow, as well as infrared and ultraviolet rays. Can you imagine how we might be able to look at this spectrum and figure out how much it's been shifted?

Can you imagine how we might be able to look at this spectrum and figure out how much it's been shifted?

I did some research on this and this is what I could gather. Okay so we know that atoms and molecules can only absorb certain wavelengths (frequencies). Say molecule X can only absorb frequencies in the range of Y. When we analyze the [visible light] spectrum, we will see some dark lines in the spectrum corresponding to the wavelength (frequencies) which molecule X can absorb. These sets of lines are unique for each atomic element and always have the same spacing. Knowing this, we can deduce whether the object is red shifting or blue shifting (as the absorption lines move towards the blue end of the spectrum, the object is blue shifting; if the absorption lines are moving towards the red end, it is red shifting). And I guess we could actually tell how much its shifted by comparing it to the non shifted spectrum? I hope I got this down right.

Last edited:
Yep; that's exactly my understanding of it!

Note that this method also accounts for gravitational redshifting.

1. What is the main factor that affects the color of a star from Earth?

The main factor that affects the color of a star from Earth is its temperature. The hotter a star is, the bluer its color will appear, while cooler stars tend to have a reddish or orange hue.

2. How does a star's size impact its color?

A star's size does not have a direct impact on its color. However, the size can indirectly affect the color by influencing the star's temperature. Larger stars tend to be hotter and therefore have a bluer color, while smaller stars are cooler and have a redder color.

3. Can a star's age affect its color?

Yes, a star's age can affect its color. As a star ages, it begins to run out of fuel and its temperature starts to decrease. This results in a change in color from blue to yellow to eventually red as the star becomes cooler and redder.

4. Why do some stars appear to change color?

Some stars may appear to change color due to their position in the sky. This is known as atmospheric refraction, where the light from the star is bent as it passes through Earth's atmosphere. This can cause the star to appear to twinkle and change color.

5. Are there any other factors besides temperature that can affect a star's color?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a star's color, such as its chemical composition. Different elements in a star's atmosphere can absorb certain wavelengths of light, resulting in a change in color. The presence of dust and gas can also affect a star's color by scattering and absorbing light.