I'm not sure where to start with very basic cosmology

• Thread starter astralarcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
It's very readable and has many, many diagrams. It doesn't get into the math much, but it gives you a good feel for what spacetime is all about.In summary, if you are a beginner looking to learn about cosmology and physics, it is recommended to start with basic astronomy and cosmology lectures before moving onto more complex math concepts like calculus and general relativity. There are also accessible resources available online, such as lectures and articles, that can help give you a foundation in these subjects. It is not necessary for non-cosmologists to delve into the complicated math of modern cosmology, as it can be understood without it. Starting with an understanding of gravity is a good jumping off point for learning about special rel
astralarcher
I understand that to make any sort of equations or mathematics I'll need some calculus and GR but beyond that I'm at a loss. What sort of books should I be picking up as a beginner before I can start touching on other things, such as GR? Is there something I should read before trying to attempt self-teaching differential equations or series expansions? I have no knowledge of where I should begin or where I should be asking this question. Specifics would be very helpful, such as certain books or certain authors I should be looking at. To give you an insight of where I would be starting, I have never had or took any courses in physics whatsoever and I have no idea what a Quantum Theory is. But I'm going insane wanting to learn more.

Space news on Phys.org
Hi @astralarcher

Two suggestions for you - both of which I've watched and are excellent

A non-maths (or very basic maths content) set of lectures are available for download in lots of places by Robert Wagner. They are
ATR103 Introduction to Planetary Astronomy
ATR104 Introduction to Stellar Astronomy
Although it's astronomy and cosmology, it will give you a fabulous grounding in the basics and is some of the most accessible content I've ever watched / listened to. I would really recommend starting here before you move onto cosmology

If you then want to move onto the broader subject - with math... Leanord Suskind is one of the greatest tutors (in my opinion anyway!). Google "Modern Physics Cosmology Winter 2013" and download in your preferred format.

Both HACC and Stanford make great lectures available to the public for free
Best Regards
Matt

astralarcher said:
I understand that to make any sort of equations or mathematics I'll need some calculus and GR but beyond that I'm at a loss.
If you don't plan to be a cosmologist, there's little reason to try to learn the math of GR and modern cosmology. It's NOT simple and you'd need to go through several years of school to understand anything but the most basic mathematical concepts. Luckily, cosmology can be pretty well understood without getting into all the mathy bits.

Try here: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_01.htm
And here: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html#bigbang

Gravity is usually the jumping off point. You start with orbits and build from there.

To get started on special relativity, a good book is Takeuchi, An Illustrated Guide to Relativity.

Likes haushofer

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the branch of science that studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves studying everything from the largest structures in the universe, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies, to the smallest particles and forces that govern the universe.

2. What are the basic principles of cosmology?

The basic principles of cosmology include the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began with a massive explosion approximately 13.8 billion years ago, and the theory of general relativity, which describes the laws of gravity and how matter and energy interact on a cosmic scale.

3. How do scientists study cosmology?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study cosmology, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also use observations of cosmic phenomena, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, to gather data and test theories about the universe.

4. What are some current topics in cosmology research?

Some current topics in cosmology research include dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up the majority of the universe but have not yet been directly observed, and the study of cosmic inflation, which is a theory about the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages.

5. Why is cosmology important?

Cosmology is important because it helps us understand our place in the universe and how the universe works. It also has practical applications, such as developing technologies for space exploration and understanding the origins of the universe and potentially predicting its future.