Lake Titicaca: Evidence of an Ancient Ocean and the Controversy Surrounding It

• Thread starter ConfedHeraldry
  • Start date
In summary: Try that.In summary, the conversation revolves around a forum discussing the geology and evolution of the Andes, with one member expressing frustration and wanting to leave due to the lack of tolerance for nonsense. Another member suggests banning the member, but the first member is more interested in finding a way to leave the forum.
ConfedHeraldry
"Evidence that Lake Titicaca was once a part of an ocean exists even today in the abundance of oceanic creatures still living in the salty lake, although it is over two miles above current sea level."

What a bunch of "open-minded" psudo-logic jugglers. Is locking an interesting discussion after someone labels it full of crackpots very scientific discussion?

I really thought this would be an interesting forum.

I'm outta here. You can have it.

Gary

P.S.--I can't find the door out of here. Unsubscribe please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dates I'm discovering are a scientist's assertion against another.
:rofl: Ummm, No! Dates are a way of ordering events in time.

The upthrust of the Andes apparently occurred millions of years ago - well before modern day humans developed.

Here is a more credible source on the geology and evolution of the Andes.
http://www.geo.arizona.edu/geo5xx/geo527/Andes/intro.html

This is an interesting forum. We simply do not tolerate nonsense. :approve:

I tried to leave but see I cannot in CP--very sembiotic.

Gary

ConfedHeraldry said:
I tried to leave but see I cannot in CP--very sembiotic.
Simply Logout!

"This is an interesting forum. We simply do not tolerate nonsense."

That's what they said about Galileo. Ha.

Gary

Last edited:
Ha, ha--Galileo.

Why are you still here? I thought you said you were leaving?

ConfedHeraldry said:

What sort of forum is "Galileo"? :rolleyes:

Upon request we can ban an account. However, that's irreversible, but if desired so, just say so.

ConfedHeraldry said:

Gary

If you don't like it, leave already. No one is forcing you to stay here.

Last edited:
I suspect that he just wants to bail so that he can re-up under a new username. More people than you might realize are addicted to that smack upside the head with a 'Welcome' fish.

As a huge contributor with 9 posts, 4 of which occur in this thread -- you will surely be missed.

ConfedHeraldry said:
P.S.--I can't find the door out of here.

Never heard of someone being trapped on a webpage before. Theres a little x button at the top right.

Last edited:

1. What is Lake Titicaca and where is it located?

Lake Titicaca is a large, deep lake located in the Andes Mountains on the border of Peru and Bolivia. It is situated at an elevation of 3,812 meters (12,507 feet) above sea level, making it one of the highest navigable lakes in the world.

2. How was the evidence of an ancient ocean discovered in Lake Titicaca?

The evidence of an ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca was discovered through geological studies and analysis of sediment layers, as well as the presence of marine fossils found in the lake. Scientists also used satellite imagery and sonar technology to map the lake's underwater topography.

3. What is the controversy surrounding the existence of an ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca?

The controversy stems from the fact that Lake Titicaca is located far inland and at a high elevation, making it unlikely that it was once connected to an ocean. Some scientists argue that the marine fossils found in the lake may have been brought there through other means such as human activity or natural disasters.

4. What does the presence of an ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca tell us about the history of the region?

The presence of an ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca suggests that the region was once covered by a large body of water, potentially connecting it to other bodies of water in South America. This discovery also sheds light on the geological and environmental changes that have occurred in the Andes Mountains over millions of years.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand the ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca?

Further research is needed to determine the exact age of the ancient ocean in Lake Titicaca and its connection to other bodies of water. Scientists also aim to study the lake's sediment layers and climate patterns to better understand the environmental changes that have taken place in the region. Additionally, more studies on the lake's marine life can provide valuable insights into the evolution of species in this unique ecosystem.