Max Expansion of Block on Spring Connected to Electric Field

• Thread starter bzaher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the block has mass m and a charge +Q. When the block is released from rest, the spring expands to its equilibrium position. The block's motion is simple harmonic and has a period of 2PI*root m/k. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is Fu (u as in the coefficient of friction), the block will move to the equilibrium point.
bzaher
A block having mass m and and a charge +Q is connected to a spring having a constant k. The block lies on frictionless horizontal track, and the system is immersed in a uniform electric field of magnitude E, directed east. If the block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched ( at x=0)

a)By what maximum does the spring expand
all i have is -kx1=Eq-kx2
x2=eq/k

b)What is the equilibrium position of the block?
in not sure of this isn't it the same as number one?

c) Show that the blocks motion is simple harmonic, and determine its period
I assume its just T=2pie*root m/k

d) What if? Repeat part (a) if the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface is Fu (u as in the coefficient of friction)

I don't want the answers I would love the tools to find them (though answers would be a bonus ) any help would be appreciated, thanks. oh and the spring is attached to the block

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I take it that you don't know differential equations? In your class, have you gone over a forcing function in simple harmonic motion?

No we haven't, I have never done a question like this before, and it feels like I'm walking in the dark hoping to stumble on to something.

bzaher said:
a)By what maximum does the spring expand
all i have is -kx1=Eq-kx2
x2=eq/k
No. Hint: Use energy conservation, not a force equation.

b)What is the equilibrium position of the block?
in not sure of this isn't it the same as number one?
Here's where you use a force equation to find the equilibrium point.

c) Show that the blocks motion is simple harmonic, and determine its period
I assume its just T=2pie*root m/k
OK.

d) What if? Repeat part (a) if the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface is Fu (u as in the coefficient of friction)
Use the same approach. You'll have an additional work/energy term.

(No need for any differential equations! Assuming you know the results for SHM, of course.)

ok so here's what I think may be right.

a) ep=1/2*kd for a spring and Ep=EQ for the block so
ep=ep+ek
1/2ks=EQ/d+0
d^3=2EQ/k

b)if it is force that I use then
F=EQ
EK=kx
x=EQ/k

c) I understand now it is simple harmonic because no energy is lost right?

d)same as a but minus force of friction from electric potential?

bzaher said:
a) ep=1/2*kd for a spring and Ep=EQ for the block so
ep=ep+ek
1/2ks=EQ/d+0
d^3=2EQ/k
No. What's the work done by the electric field as the block moves? What's the work done by the spring? (What's the energy stored in a stretched spring?)

b)if it is force that I use then
F=EQ
EK=kx
x=EQ/k
OK.

c) I understand now it is simple harmonic because no energy is lost right?
It's simple harmonic because the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

d)same as a but minus force of friction from electric potential?
Again, part 'a' has to do with energy, not simply force. You'll have to consider the work done by friction as the block moves.

Well, I'm out of ideas for a) then.

bzaher said:
Well, I'm out of ideas for a) then.
At least look up the formula for the energy stored in a spring.

And for the work done by the constant electric field, recall that work = force X distance. (Careful not to use that for the spring, since the spring force isn't constant.)

so then would it be
ep=deltaE
1/2kx^2=fd and solve for x?

bzaher said:
so then would it be
ep=deltaE
1/2kx^2=fd and solve for x?
Yes. Replace 'd' with 'x'. And f is the force due to the electric field.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

What is the "Max Expansion of Block on Spring Connected to Electric Field" experiment?

The "Max Expansion of Block on Spring Connected to Electric Field" experiment is a physics experiment that investigates the relationship between the electric field and the maximum expansion of a block on a spring connected to the field.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a spring, a block, a power source, wires, and a ruler or measuring device.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the effect of an electric field on the maximum expansion of a block on a spring. This can help us understand the behavior of materials in electric fields and can have applications in various fields such as electronics and engineering.

How do you measure the maximum expansion of the block on the spring?

To measure the maximum expansion, you will need to attach one end of the spring to a fixed point and the other end to the block. Then, connect the power source to the wires and attach them to the block. As the electric field is applied, the block will expand. Use a ruler or measuring device to measure the maximum distance the block expands from its original position.

What factors can affect the maximum expansion of the block on the spring?

The maximum expansion of the block on the spring can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the properties of the block and spring, and the distance between the block and the power source. It may also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.