Imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Hypatio
Messages
147
Reaction score
1
At the moment I am studying the Schrödinger equation using this resource.

In a 1D solution (sec 3.1 in the paper) they show that a wave function can be expressed as

[tex]\Psi(x,t)=\sqrt{2}e^{-iE_{n_x}t}\sin (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

where n_x is the quantum number. And they show the real part of the solution in Figure 2a for t=0 and for over time in Figure 3a. I do not understand the structure seen in the time-dependent solution. In particular, in my solution I can show exactly what they give in Figure 3 except that I ONLY show the wavefunction being positive at x<0.5 and negative in x>0.5. I can only get all their curves if I assume that the wave function is both positive and negative over time.

I think this might be due to the fact that I do not understand the use of the imaginary number in the equation and solutions. For instance, apparently when the above equation is squared you arrive at

[tex]\Psi^2=2\sin^2 (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

But I don't see how that operates on the exponential. So what is the function of the imaginary number in the Schrödinger equation? Do you just assume that i=1 sometimes and i=-1 othertimes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not just squaring the wave function, you do the square modulus. This means you multiply the wave function by its complex conjugate, here it is
[tex]\Psi = \sqrt(2) exp(iEt) sin(n\pi x) [\tex]<br /> When you work it out, the i's should cancel out.<br /> <br /> i<sup>2</sup>= -1 ALWAYS, from my knowledge at least. Hopefully there is someone with more experience here that may be able to correct me.<br /> <br /> EDIT: My LaTeX text isn't working, no idea what I'm doing wrong. my apologies[/tex]
 
Last edited:
The probability density in fig. 2(b) is
[tex]P(x,t)=<\overline{\Psi}(x,t)\vert\Psi(x,t)>[/tex]
where the amplitude and its conjugate are
[tex]\Psi(x,t)=e^{-iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x)[/tex] and
[tex]\overline{\Psi}(x,t)=e^{+iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x)[/tex]
 
Bob S said:
The probability density in fig. 2(b) is
[tex]P(x,t)=<\overline{\Psi}(x,t)\vert\Psi(x,t)>[/tex]
where the amplitude and its conjugate are
[tex]\Psi(x,t)=e^{-iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x)[/tex] and
[tex]\overline{\Psi}(x,t)=e^{+iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x)[/tex]

That's what I was trying to say, except this is much nicer. Thanks Bob!