Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    At the moment I am studying the Schrodinger equation using this resource.

In a 1D solution (sec 3.1 in the paper) they show that a wave function can be expressed as

[tex]\Psi(x,t)=\sqrt{2}e^{-iE_{n_x}t}\sin (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

where n_x is the quantum number. And they show the real part of the solution in Figure 2a for t=0 and for over time in Figure 3a. I do not understand the structure seen in the time-dependent solution. In particular, in my solution I can show exactly what they give in Figure 3 except that I ONLY show the wavefunction being positive at x<0.5 and negative in x>0.5. I can only get all their curves if I assume that the wave function is both positive and negative over time.

I think this might be due to the fact that I do not understand the use of the imaginary number in the equation and solutions. For instance, apparently when the above equation is squared you arrive at

[tex]\Psi^2=2\sin^2 (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

But I don't see how that operates on the exponential. So what is the function of the imaginary number in the schrodinger equation? Do you just assume that i=1 sometimes and i=-1 othertimes?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    You're not just squaring the wave function, you do the square modulus. This means you multiply the wave function by its complex conjugate, here it is
    [tex] \Psi = \sqrt(2) exp(iEt) sin(n\pi x) [\tex]
    When you work it out, the i's should cancel out.

i2= -1 ALWAYS, from my knowledge at least. Hopefully there is someone with more experience here that may be able to correct me.

EDIT: My LaTeX text isn't working, no idea what I'm doing wrong. my apologies

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    The probability density in fig. 2(b) is
    [tex] P(x,t)=<\overline{\Psi}(x,t)\vert\Psi(x,t)> [/tex]
    where the amplitude and its conjugate are
    [tex] \Psi(x,t)=e^{-iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex] and
    [tex] \overline{\Psi}(x,t)=e^{+iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex]

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
    That's what I was trying to say, except this is much nicer. Thanks Bob!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook