Imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the paper discusses a solution to the Schrodinger equation using the imaginary number. They show that a wave function can be expressed as \Psi(x,t)=\sqrt{2}e^{-iE_{n_x}t}\sin (n_x\pi x)where n_x is the quantum number. The real part of the solution is seen in Figure 2a for t=0 and for over time in Figure 3a. I don't understand the structure seen in the time-dependent solution. In particular, in my solution I can show exactly what they give in Figure 3 except that I ONLY show the wavefunction being positive at x<0.5 and negative in
Hypatio
At the moment I am studying the Schrodinger equation using this resource.

In a 1D solution (sec 3.1 in the paper) they show that a wave function can be expressed as

[tex]\Psi(x,t)=\sqrt{2}e^{-iE_{n_x}t}\sin (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

where n_x is the quantum number. And they show the real part of the solution in Figure 2a for t=0 and for over time in Figure 3a. I do not understand the structure seen in the time-dependent solution. In particular, in my solution I can show exactly what they give in Figure 3 except that I ONLY show the wavefunction being positive at x<0.5 and negative in x>0.5. I can only get all their curves if I assume that the wave function is both positive and negative over time.

I think this might be due to the fact that I do not understand the use of the imaginary number in the equation and solutions. For instance, apparently when the above equation is squared you arrive at

[tex]\Psi^2=2\sin^2 (n_x\pi x)[/tex]

But I don't see how that operates on the exponential. So what is the function of the imaginary number in the schrodinger equation? Do you just assume that i=1 sometimes and i=-1 othertimes?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not just squaring the wave function, you do the square modulus. This means you multiply the wave function by its complex conjugate, here it is
[tex] \Psi = \sqrt(2) exp(iEt) sin(n\pi x) [\tex]
When you work it out, the i's should cancel out.

i2= -1 ALWAYS, from my knowledge at least. Hopefully there is someone with more experience here that may be able to correct me.

EDIT: My LaTeX text isn't working, no idea what I'm doing wrong. my apologies

Last edited:
The probability density in fig. 2(b) is
[tex] P(x,t)=<\overline{\Psi}(x,t)\vert\Psi(x,t)> [/tex]
where the amplitude and its conjugate are
[tex] \Psi(x,t)=e^{-iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex] and
[tex] \overline{\Psi}(x,t)=e^{+iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex]

Bob S said:
The probability density in fig. 2(b) is
[tex] P(x,t)=<\overline{\Psi}(x,t)\vert\Psi(x,t)> [/tex]
where the amplitude and its conjugate are
[tex] \Psi(x,t)=e^{-iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex] and
[tex] \overline{\Psi}(x,t)=e^{+iE_n t}A_{n}\sin(n\pi x) [/tex]

That's what I was trying to say, except this is much nicer. Thanks Bob!

1. What are imaginary numbers and how are they used in the Schrodinger Equation?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1). In the Schrodinger Equation, imaginary numbers are used to represent the quantum mechanical state of a particle, which cannot be described using classical physics.

2. Why is the real part of the Schrodinger Equation important?

The real part of the Schrodinger Equation represents the potential energy of a particle in a certain region of space. This is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding the particle in that region, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. How do imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation relate to each other?

Imaginary numbers are used in the complex-valued Schrodinger Equation, which includes both real and imaginary parts. The real part represents the potential energy, while the imaginary part represents the kinetic energy. Together, they describe the total energy of a quantum mechanical system.

4. Are imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation only used in quantum mechanics?

No, imaginary numbers and the Schrodinger Equation have applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. In engineering, they are used in signal processing and control theory. In physics, they are used to describe wave phenomena. In mathematics, they are used to solve certain equations.

5. How do imaginary numbers and the real part of the Schrodinger Equation impact our understanding of the physical world?

Imaginary numbers and the Schrodinger Equation have revolutionized our understanding of the physical world, particularly at the quantum level. They help us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles and systems that cannot be explained using classical physics. This has led to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.