Impact Force on a Spring or Damper

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a test on a dynamic rig to simulate shock impacts on a rubber component. The previous method of using a rig that dropped a 78Kg mass is no longer available, so the question is how to calculate the impact force on the part using the mass of the object, height of the drop, and density of the rubber. The force on the part can be calculated using the spring equation, F = kx, and the maximum force is when the spring is fully compressed. However, for an elastomer, there is no easy way to calculate its spring value and it may need to be measured.
Nick C
Hello Everyone, I'm hoping you can help with this.

I need to set up a test on a dynamic test rig which can simulate shock impacts upon a spring (actually it's a hard rubber based component).

The test has previously been done on a rig which dropped a mass of 78Kg onto the part until destruction, but the equipment is no longer availble. Therefore I want to find a solution which allows me to use the dynamic rig which can provide shock impacts which are controlled by displacement in mm.

So, my question relates to how I can calculate the impact force upon the part when I know the following:

1) Mass of the object being dropped
2) Height of the object being dropped
3) The density of the part being hit, in N / mm (The rubber part)

I can then set the equipment to cycle over a displacement which provides the correct peak loading from the calculation.

I hope I have provided enough info.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean maximum force? Consider a spring for example. The force on the spring when something impacts it increases until all the kinetic energy of the impacting object has been absorbed by increasing the potential energy in the spring. So the force on the spring varies depending on displacement according to the spring equation:
F = kx

The maximum force is when the spring is fully compressed and has thus absorbed all the energy of impact.
KE object = E spring
.5mV^2 = .5kx^2
Solve for x (spring displacement) then find the force on the spring. Note that this neglects any potential energy from the mass as it compresses the spring which may or may not be significant. That's easy enough to add into the equation and from the sounds of your set up, it may be necessary. You'll need to describe the set up better though.

The same holds true for any elastomer. The elastomer has some spring rate which may or may not change as the elastomer is compressed. There's no easy way I know of to calculate an elastomer's spring value from it's geometry and properties. You may need to measure it.

I would first like to commend you on your thorough and well-thought-out approach to this problem. It is important to have a clear understanding of the variables involved in order to accurately calculate the impact force on the spring or damper.

To calculate the impact force, we can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is caused by the object being dropped and is equal to the change in velocity over time (a=Δv/Δt).

To determine the change in velocity, we can use the formula v=√(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the object being dropped.

So, the impact force can be calculated as F=m√(2gh)/Δt. This formula takes into account the mass of the object, the height it is being dropped from, and the time it takes for the impact to occur (Δt).

The density of the part being hit is also a factor in the impact force, as it affects the stiffness of the spring or damper. However, without knowing the specific material properties of the rubber component, it is difficult to accurately incorporate this into the calculation. I would recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting further tests to determine the exact density and its impact on the force.

In conclusion, with the information provided, the impact force on the spring or damper can be calculated using the formula F=m√(2gh)/Δt. However, further analysis may be needed to fully account for the density of the part being hit. I wish you success in your testing and hope this information is helpful.

What is impact force on a spring or damper?

Impact force on a spring or damper refers to the sudden force or shock that is applied to a spring or damper, causing it to compress or expand.

How does impact force affect a spring or damper?

The impact force can significantly affect the behavior of a spring or damper. It can cause deformation, change in stiffness, or even failure of the component.

How is impact force calculated on a spring or damper?

The impact force on a spring or damper can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the impacting object by its velocity and applying the principle of conservation of momentum.

What factors can affect the impact force on a spring or damper?

The impact force on a spring or damper can be influenced by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the impacting object, the stiffness of the spring or damper, and the angle of impact.

How can impact force on a spring or damper be minimized?

To minimize the impact force on a spring or damper, measures such as using shock-absorbing materials, increasing the stiffness of the component, and avoiding high-velocity impacts can be taken.