Impact pressure (enough info?)

I just used the highest possible value for yield strength to get an estimate.In summary, the individual is asking for help with a problem involving orbiting space junk hitting a spacecraft at a low-earth orbital speed. They are unsure of how to solve it due to a lack of information and the conservation of momentum having too many unknown variables. They also mention estimating the impact pressure and what would happen if the spacecraft's yield strength is lower than the impact pressure.
fire
Hi, I need help solving this problem. On one hand, I think that there's not enough information to solve it, on the other hand, I think there has to be a way to cancel out all the information that's not provided, and do the problem with only what's given. But I can't come up with a way to solve it. Conservation of momentum has too many unknown variables.

"Orbiting space junk hits a spacecraft at low-earth orbital speed of 25,000 mph. Estimate the impact pressure. Also, what will happen if the spacecraft 's material's yeild strength is lower than this impact pressure?"

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Given the use of the word 'estimate' in part one, I would guess that you're expected to use arbitrary values for your unknowns, based upon common sense.

As for part two, well, no calculation is needed...

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

1. What is impact pressure?

Impact pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a moving object upon impact with another surface. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

2. How is impact pressure calculated?

Impact pressure is calculated by dividing the force of impact by the area over which the force is applied. This can be represented mathematically as P = F/A, where P is the impact pressure, F is the force, and A is the area.

3. What factors affect impact pressure?

The factors that affect impact pressure include the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the hardness and surface area of the impact surface. Other factors that may influence impact pressure include the angle of impact and the elasticity of the materials involved.

4. What are the applications of impact pressure in science?

Impact pressure is an important concept in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to analyze the effects of collisions, explosions, and other impacts on objects and surfaces. It is also used in the design of protective equipment and structures to withstand impact forces.

5. How is impact pressure related to impact force?

Impact pressure and impact force are closely related, as impact pressure is a measure of the force per unit area. The greater the impact pressure, the greater the impact force. However, impact pressure also takes into account the size of the impact surface, whereas impact force does not.