1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance matching and tuning of RF coil

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    Hi everybody.
    I am trying to understand the concept of impedance matching and tuning of RF coil.

As far as I understand there are 2 stages:
    At the first stage I should match the coil to the source (Let's say with L network method) and the second stage is to tune coil to the desirable frequency (tuning = tuning the coil so the desirable frequency will be the resonant frequency) using a tuning capacitor.

Now at the first stage I am matching the coil circuit including the tuning capacitor but at the second stage I am changing the capacitor value. But will not this change affect on the impedance matching?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2016 #2
    Hi.

For a simple tank circuit the center frequency will be: f = 1 ÷ 2π√LC.

This is the frequency where the inductor, AKA coil, (L) and the capacitor (C) have the same impedance.
    In the first stage we select a coil that exactly matches our desired frequency. However manufacturing variances mean we will likely be off by a little. So we need to adjust a component a tiny fraction. It doesn't really matter which we adjust. You seem to have an adjustable capacitor, so adjust that. (Adjustable inductors are usually slightly non-linear, so frowned upon by high end audiophiles).

4. Jan 22, 2016 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the match is for a transmitting antenna then the design will need a good fractional bandwidth so the centre frequency of the matching network may not need to be particularly accurate - it will be a Low Q system, radiating as much Power as possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook