How do I find the slope of a tangent line using implicit differentiation?

In summary: I could help.In summary, the conversation discusses using implicit differentiation to find the slope of the tangent line to a curve at a given point. The original poster attempted the problem and got an incorrect answer, prompting them to ask for help. Another user suggests using the product rule for the 3xy term and explains the concept. The original poster then asks for clarification and the other user provides a more detailed explanation. The original poster is able to solve the problem correctly with the help provided.
Neil6790

Homework Statement

Use implicit differentiation to find the slope of the tangent line to the curve

4x^2-3xy+1y^3=26

at the point (3,2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the problem and i came up with dy/dx= (-8x+4)/(3y^2) which is wrong.

Need some help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that?

Then show us HOW you got that answer!

I suspect you may have messed up a "product rule" but I can't be sure unless you show exactly what you did.

This is what i did:

It sounds totally wrong and it looks wrong but i didn't know what to do

(d/dx)(4x^2-3xy+1y^3)=26
(dy/dx)(3y^2)=-8x+4
dy/dx=(-8x+4)/(3y^2)

For your 3xy term you have to use the product rule... you will find that it will turn out to be -[ (3 dx/dx y') + (3x y') ] product rule being f'g + fg' y' being dy/dx of course

djeitnstine said:
For your 3xy term you have to use the product rule... you will find that it will turn out to be (3 dx/dx y') - (3x y') product rule being f'g + fg' y' being dy/dx of course

I still don't get what you mean. When i differentiate 3xy using the product rule, what should i get? Am i supposed to get (3*(xy)) - (3x*1)? I don't completely get the concept

differentiating 3xy using the product rule (f'g + fg' - in words this is the derivative of f times g plus f times the derivative of g) looks like this [tex]3y\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex] + [tex]3x\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] Which leaves you with [tex]3y + 3x\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Ahhh, I see what you mean now. I did everything, but for the final slope i get -30/21. I have no idea how it's wrong when I did exactly what you told me.

also don't forget that the y^3 differentiates to (3y^2) * (y')

I was finally able to get the answer which was -6. Thank you very much for the help.

No problem

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. It is commonly used when the dependent variable is not easily isolated in the equation.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the equation involves both dependent and independent variables and it is difficult or impossible to isolate the dependent variable. It is often used in physics and engineering applications.

How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, the chain rule is used to differentiate each term in the equation with respect to the independent variable. The dependent variable is treated as a function of the independent variable and its derivative is found using the chain rule.

What is the purpose of implicit differentiation?

The main purpose of implicit differentiation is to find the instantaneous rate of change (derivative) of a function at a specific point. This information is useful in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the function.

What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics and engineering to find rates of change in complex systems. It is also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze relationships between variables that are not explicitly defined.