Implied Precision: Is It 0.005 or 0.01?

• Thread starter emeraldskye177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precision
In summary, the conversation discusses the implied precision of a measurement and whether it is half of the least significant figure or "1" in the place of the least significant figure. There is a difference in opinion based on the type of measuring instrument being used, with some sources stating that the implied precision is 0.005 m and others stating it is 0.01 m. The conversation also touches on the fact that the imprecision is related to the fundamental measurement, not how it is presented. Ultimately, it is suggested to assume half of the smallest division as the implied precision.
emeraldskye177
Member advised to always provide an attempt at solution for homework questions

Homework Statement

Some sources say the implied precision of a measurement is half of the least significant figure, while others say the implied precision is "1" in the place of the least significant figure.

For example, a length is measured as 3.28 m. According to some sources, the implied precision is 0.005 m, while according to other sources, the implied precision is 0.01 m. Which is correct and why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think and why?

phinds said:
What do you think and why?
I think it depends on the measuring instrument. If it's analog, half of the smallest division; if it's digital, the smallest division.

So in this case, if it's a measured length, I'd assume the instrument is analog and the implied precision would be +/- 0.005 m.

Does this sound right?

Doesn't sound right to me. The imprecision does not seem to me to be related in any way to how the measurement is PRESENTED. Things like temperature, pressure, and so forth are analog in nature and are of necessity measured as analog things. How the result is then presented has nothing to do with the imprecision in the fundamental measurement.

Yes, you can have instruments that directly produce digital results but that does not change the fact that they are measuring analog characteristics and the question is, what is the imprecision of when they change from one measurement to their next digital increment. THAT is still analog.

phinds said:
Doesn't sound right to me. The imprecision does not seem to me to be related in any way to how the measurement is PRESENTED. Things like temperature, pressure, and so forth are analog in nature and are of necessity measured as analog things. How the result is then presented has nothing to do with the imprecision in the fundamental measurement.

Yes, you can have instruments that directly produce digital results but that does not change the fact that they are measuring analog characteristics and the question is, what is the imprecision of when they change from one measurement to their next digital increment. THAT is still analog.
So I should always assume half of the smallest division?

emeraldskye177 said:
So I should always assume half of the smallest division?
That's what I always do.

1. What is implied precision?

Implied precision refers to the level of accuracy or specificity that is implied by a given value or measurement. It is the degree to which a value is assumed to be precise, even if it is not explicitly stated.

2. How is implied precision expressed?

Implied precision is typically expressed in terms of significant figures or decimal places. For example, a value of 0.005 implies a precision of three decimal places, while a value of 0.01 implies a precision of two decimal places.

3. Which is more precise, 0.005 or 0.01?

Both values have the same level of precision, as they both have two significant figures. However, 0.005 has a higher degree of specificity, as it includes an extra decimal place.

4. How do I determine the implied precision of a value?

The number of significant figures or decimal places in a value indicates its implied precision. For example, a value with three significant figures has an implied precision of three decimal places. Additionally, the context in which the value is used can also provide clues about its implied precision.

5. Why is implied precision important in scientific measurements?

Implied precision is important because it helps communicate the level of accuracy and specificity in a measurement. It allows for consistency and comparability in scientific data and helps avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results.