Investigating Impulse & Acceleration in Youth Soccer Heading

In summary, the impulse caused by a head-on collision between a size 4 soccer ball and a player's head is 2.05 kg*m/s.
whereisccguys
Recent studies have raised concern about `heading' in youth soccer (i.e., hitting the ball with the head). A soccer player `heads' a size 4 ball, deflecting it by 52.0°, and keeps its speed of 10.00 m/s constant. A size 4 ball has a mass of approximately 0.302 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse which the player must impart to the ball?

(part b)
If the player's head has a mass of 3.80 kg, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the player's head during the impact? Assume that over the brief time of the impact, 27.90 ms, the player's head can be treated separately from the player's body.

um... I'm not really sure how to start the problem
i only know that impulse is the the change in momentum pf - pi... i dunt see how this would tie in with the problem, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I too am having difficulty on this one

whereisccguys said:
i only know that impulse is the the change in momentum pf - pi... i dunt see how this would tie in with the problem, any help would be appreciated
Well, since they ask you for the impulse, I'd say it ties in quite nicely. :smile:

Impulse = [itex]\Delta (m\vec{v})[/itex]. Draw a diagram of the initial and final velocity vectors and subtract them. Find the magnitude of the impulse.

Once you've found the impulse, then use:
Impulse = [itex] F \Delta t[/itex] to find the average force. Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

Alright, I did that. My numbers are that the mass of the ball is 0.252 kg, it was deflected by 39 degrees, and the velocity of the ball is 18.8 m/s. I found that the Impulse = 2.05 kg*m/s. That is not correct with the computer. What am I doing wrong?

i got the right answer thanks a lot Doc Al

The angle is confusing me. Do you have to use that somewhere to find the impulse?

Punchlinegirl said:
The angle is confusing me. Do you have to use that somewhere to find the impulse?
Yes, you need to know the angle in order to determine the change in velocity. Remember, velocity is a vector.

AstroturfHead said:
Alright, I did that. My numbers are that the mass of the ball is 0.252 kg, it was deflected by 39 degrees, and the velocity of the ball is 18.8 m/s. I found that the Impulse = 2.05 kg*m/s. That is not correct with the computer. What am I doing wrong?

Hopefully this isn't too late. I did the exact same mistake. I believe you subtracted the two vectors wrong. You should use the law of cosines which is c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b*cos(45) then multiply by m.

You should get an answer around 5.____

Hope this helps.

1. What is the purpose of investigating impulse and acceleration in youth soccer heading?

The purpose of investigating impulse and acceleration in youth soccer heading is to better understand the potential risks and impacts of heading on young athletes. This research can help inform guidelines and training techniques to reduce the risk of head injuries in youth soccer players.

2. How is impulse and acceleration measured in youth soccer heading?

Impulse and acceleration can be measured using specialized equipment, such as sensors or accelerometers, placed on the head or body of the player. These devices can track the movement and forces experienced during heading and provide quantitative data for analysis.

3. What are some potential factors that may affect impulse and acceleration in youth soccer heading?

Some potential factors that may affect impulse and acceleration in youth soccer heading include player age, gender, heading technique, ball velocity, and type of ball. Other factors such as neck strength and prior head injury history may also play a role.

4. What are the potential long-term effects of repeated high-impact heading on young athletes?

Repeated high-impact heading in youth soccer may lead to long-term effects such as brain injury, cognitive impairment, and changes in brain structure. It is important to understand the potential risks and take necessary precautions to protect the health and safety of young athletes.

5. How can the findings from this research be applied to improve safety in youth soccer heading?

The findings from this research can be used to inform guidelines and training techniques for youth soccer players, with the goal of reducing the risk of head injuries from heading. This may include teaching proper heading technique, limiting the number of headers in practice and games, and implementing rules and regulations to protect young players.