1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impluse problem

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1
    Recent studies have raised concern about `heading' in youth soccer (i.e., hitting the ball with the head). A soccer player `heads' a size 4 ball, deflecting it by 52.0°, and keeps its speed of 10.00 m/s constant. A size 4 ball has a mass of approximately 0.302 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse which the player must impart to the ball?

(part b)
    If the player's head has a mass of 3.80 kg, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the player's head during the impact? Assume that over the brief time of the impact, 27.90 ms, the player's head can be treated separately from the player's body.

um... i'm not really sure how to start the problem
    i only know that impulse is the the change in momentum pf - pi... i dunt see how this would tie in with the problem, any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2
    I too am having difficulty on this one

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, since they ask you for the impulse, I'd say it ties in quite nicely. :smile:

Impulse = [itex]\Delta (m\vec{v})[/itex]. Draw a diagram of the initial and final velocity vectors and subtract them. Find the magnitude of the impulse.

Once you've found the impulse, then use:
    Impulse = [itex] F \Delta t[/itex] to find the average force. Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

5. Mar 9, 2005 #4
    Alright, I did that. My numbers are that the mass of the ball is 0.252 kg, it was deflected by 39 degrees, and the velocity of the ball is 18.8 m/s. I found that the Impulse = 2.05 kg*m/s. That is not correct with the computer. What am I doing wrong?

6. Mar 9, 2005 #5
    i got the right answer thanks a lot Doc Al

7. Mar 14, 2005 #6
    The angle is confusing me. Do you have to use that somewhere to find the impulse?

8. Mar 15, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you need to know the angle in order to determine the change in velocity. Remember, velocity is a vector.

9. Mar 24, 2005 #8
    Hopefully this isn't too late. I did the exact same mistake. I believe you subtracted the two vectors wrong. You should use the law of cosines which is c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b*cos(45) then multiply by m.

You should get an answer around 5.____

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?