1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse-momentum question

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A buffer stop at the end of a railway track has a moving part of mass, 2 Mg, which can move 2.3m parallel to the track. The force resisting the motion of the moving part is given by cxdot where xdot is the velocity and c is 200kn/m s

What is the greatest speed with which a train, of mass 100 Mg, can hit the buffer stop if, at the end of its 2.3m travel is not to exceed 1.5m/s?

Assume that after impact, the train and the moving part of the buffer stop move together.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with the impulse momentum equations

Train: -F t = 100x10^3 (1.5-x) where x is the initial velocity of the train
    Buffer: (F-cxdot) t = 2x10^3 (1.5-0)

I do not know how to proceed because I have not seen an impulse momentum equation which includes a damper. Please help!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    I've come to the conclusion that the x and xdot are the same thing as the damping force does not apply until after impact. However I also notice that i only have 2 equations and 3 unknowns: xdot, t and F, and so I'm unable to continue, can anyone think of another equation I'm missing?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Never mind people I got it!

Okay so what i did was start off with the integral form because the damping force changes over time:

Train: -Ft = 100 (1.5 - xdot)
    Buffer: Int(F-cxdot) dt = 2(1.5-0) note that the two xdots are not necessarily the same as it changes over time.

The buffer eqn can reduce to Ft - c Int(xdot)dt = 2(1.5)
    Since Int(xdot)dt = 2.3m, I now only have the initial velocity of the train, xdot, to deal with, and everything cancels out!

Yay me! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook