What Went Wrong with Calculating Impulse in Impulse-Momentum Theory?

• Thread starter IAmSparticus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses a 0.280 kg ball being dropped from a height of 1.20 m and rebounding to a height of 0.650 m. The discussion focuses on finding the magnitude and direction of the impulse of the net force applied to the ball during the collision with the floor. The conversation also mentions the use of the Impulse-Momentum Theory to calculate the final velocity of the ball and how this relates to finding the impulse. The conversation concludes with the correct calculation of the impulse as 2.3576 kg*m/s.
IAmSparticus
1. A 0.280 kg ball is dropped from rest at a point 1.20 m above the floor. The ball rebounds straight upward to a height of 0.650 m. What are the magnitude and direction of the impulse of the net force applied to the ball during the collision with the floor?

2. Impluse-Momentum Theory: Sum of Forces * time inerval = m Vf - mVo
Momentum = p= mV

3. I found the final velocity of the ball when it has been dropped (4.85 m/s, I found this out using the equation y= (Vf^2 -Vo^2)/2a ), but when I tried to plug it into the IMT, I got an answer of 1.36 kg*m/s, which is apparently wrong. Where did I go wrong? I assumed the initial velocity to be zero since it was dropped from rest. Is there something I was supposed to do with the rebounded part?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Initial velocity" for the equation is not zero; it is the velocity of the ball upon hitting the ground. In this case we are interested in the change in momentum of the ball due to the net force acting upwards on it when it hits the ground, so initial momentum = instantaneous momentum of the ball as it hits the ground, and final momentum = instantaneous momentum of the ball as it rebounds from the ground.

IAmSparticus said:
3. I found the final velocity of the ball when it has been dropped (4.85 m/s, I found this out using the equation y= (Vf^2 -Vo^2)/2a ), but when I tried to plug it into the IMT, I got an answer of 1.36 kg*m/s, which is apparently wrong. Where did I go wrong? I assumed the initial velocity to be zero since it was dropped from rest.
In this context, initial and final velocity mean the velocities immediately before and immediately after the collision. Vo = 4.85 m/s (not zero!) downward.
Is there something I was supposed to do with the rebounded part?
Yes. Use the given data to find the final (post-collision) velocity. (Just like you found the initial (pre-collision) velocity.)

Ok, so I got a final (post-collision) velocity of 3.57 m/s. Does this seem right? What would I do next? I notice we still don't have a number for the time interval, how would I go about figuring that out?

IAmSparticus said:
Ok, so I got a final (post-collision) velocity of 3.57 m/s. Does this seem right? What would I do next? I notice we still don't have a number for the time interval, how would I go about figuring that out?
The question asked for the impulse, not average force, so you don't need the time interval. (not enough information is provided to compute it in any case)

So I would just solve the equation mVf -mVi?

Which would be (.28kg)(3.57 m/s) - (.28kg)(-4.85 m/s) = 2.3576 kg*m/s?

Looks correct to me :)

Thank you very much, I'm not too good at this stuff...

FAQ: What Went Wrong with Calculating Impulse in Impulse-Momentum Theory?

What is the Impulse-Momentum Theory?

The Impulse-Momentum Theory is a scientific concept that explains the relationship between the force applied to an object and its resulting change in motion. It states that the change in momentum of an object is directly proportional to the impulse applied to it.

What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse refers to the force applied to an object over a period of time, while momentum is a measure of the object's motion. Impulse can be thought of as the force that causes a change in momentum.

How is the Impulse-Momentum Theory applied in real life?

The Impulse-Momentum Theory can be applied in various fields, such as sports, transportation, and engineering. For example, it explains how a baseball pitcher can throw a ball with a greater speed by applying a larger force over a shorter period of time, and how seatbelts in a car can reduce the force of impact in a collision by increasing the time of contact.

What are the limitations of the Impulse-Momentum Theory?

The Impulse-Momentum Theory assumes that the force applied to an object is constant and that there are no external forces acting on the object. In real-life situations, this may not always be the case, and other factors such as air resistance and friction may affect the object's motion.

How does the Impulse-Momentum Theory relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Impulse-Momentum Theory is closely related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to the rate of change of an object's momentum. The theory expands upon this law by explaining how the change in momentum is directly proportional to the impulse applied.