In a cylinder, why do we use just the ground area to get p?

In summary: The pressure presents a force against all surfaces of the interior of the cylinder, but the force against any part of that interior surface is the pressure times the area of the surface.
MicroCosmos
Hi,

given an Hydraulic Cylinder with the Formula:
F=p*A

Why do we use APiston to calculate the Force in Work-Direction? Doesnt it suppose the "Potential Energy" of the compressed air just presses in that Area?

Im pretty confused, sorry about the unconcrete question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The potential energy of the compressed air is what causes the p in your equation. Can you re-state your question? I am not sure what you are asking.

The fact is that a Zylinder is built with 2 circles and 1 rectangle. But when i look for the formula that calculates the Force applied to one of the circles (Like Piston with compressed fluid work) depending on the Pressure, i find everywhere: F=p*ACircle, where A is the Area of that circle. My question is: isn't it wrong? because the pressure schould cause Force in all surfaces, it should distribute among all of them, causing an smaller Force than F=p*ACircle tells me.

There is a force pushing against the piston surface that is p(area of the piston surface).

There is a force pushing against the wall of the cylinder that is p(area of the cylinder wall).

It is not an either / or, the pressure presents a force against all surfaces of the interior of the cylinder, and the force against any part of that interior surface is the pressure times the area of interest.

Work is force * displacement, so when calculating work, the relevant area to use is the piston surface, because that is the surface that is involved in doing work, because it is displacing against a force.

As the piston moves up, the p decreases, of course, since the volume of the interior of the cylinder is increasing. This is where you are getting your spring analogy from, I think.

Likes MicroCosmos
I understand what you mean, i was confused, thanks a lot. I thought the fact that a Force acts in a surface means there is less pressure for the others to hold. That is of course not true.

1. Why do we use the ground area in a cylinder to calculate pressure?

We use the ground area in a cylinder to calculate pressure because it is the area that is in direct contact with the surface on which the cylinder rests. This area provides the support and resistance necessary for the cylinder to exert pressure.

2. Why not use the entire surface area of the cylinder?

Using the entire surface area of the cylinder would not accurately reflect the pressure exerted on the ground. Only the ground area is in direct contact with the surface, so it is the only area that matters in calculating pressure.

3. Can the ground area change in a cylinder?

Yes, the ground area in a cylinder can change if the cylinder is placed on an uneven surface or if the cylinder is tilted or moved. In these cases, the pressure exerted by the cylinder may also change.

4. Are there other factors that affect pressure in a cylinder besides the ground area?

Yes, besides the ground area, other factors that can affect pressure in a cylinder include the weight and volume of the cylinder, the material it is made from, and the force applied to it.

5. How does the ground area relate to the volume of a cylinder?

The ground area of a cylinder is not directly related to its volume. The ground area is only used to calculate pressure, while the volume of the cylinder is used to calculate its capacity for holding fluids or gases.