In search of G

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
Overall, it seems that "G" represents the eternal search for meaning and understanding in life, and that ultimately, it is within ourselves that we can find the answers we seek.
scott_sieger
In search of "G"

Just a little story I wrote the other day, I hope it is both amusing and profound and if it aint well...what can I say??

In search for G

Once upon a time in a not to distant present, lived a man that every one wanted to find and understand. His Name started with the letter “G” and some called him Gravity and some called him God.

For thousands of years people everywhere have been looking for him. The scientist, the physicist have spent millions of hours in the pursuit of “G”. The religious people have spent thousands of years defending him and ideologically supporting his existence.

All they knew was that “G” could be felt and not seen and that he was a very attractive proposition for finding him made one like him. If one could feel his attraction one was a part of him. And of course through out reality one could feel his pull. But the attraction was from all directions and we all stumble trying to understand where to start looking for “G” was every where. and no where at the same time.

The scientists called him a weak force and the religious people called him the strongest force. A lot of people couldn’t care either way and couldn’t decide what he was.

But any way, “G” was pretty smart because he knew that if he stayed out of sight and kept every one chasing the wrong tail he would stay unknown for longer but he also knew that one day some one is going to find him and he will become known.

He knew that the best way to hide was in fact not to, in fact he knew that if he put the answer right in front of the people looking for him that they would never find him.

Then one day people started to realize the truth. That the “G” they were chasing was actually themselves and that when they looked in the mirror they could feel him by simply feeling themselves. For “G” could only be felt and not seen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before I read this thread I thought (from the title) that this was gong to be on another notoriously illusive "g"... 3/2-5/2 inches in and a "come hither" motion finds that guy...

For “G” could only be felt and not seen.

Who knows? Higgs may pop up one day allowing us to say, "oh, that's 'g'".

Last edited by a moderator:
[jive]'sup G.[/jive]

It sounds like a lovely story, I can't say I've ever really found God in the sense some people seem to believe but I do choose to believe God exists, I do however believe I may have stumbled on to The Ultimate Knowledge, but one will have to scroll down to read it if they choose to, I don't want anyone to read it if they don't yet feel prepaired for it:

Pull my finger

Alternative interpretation:

The scientists are not looking for the "G". They are looking for the mirror.

We are part of the universe, and by understanding it we understand ourselves.

would understanding our own nature reveal 'g' to us? i'd say so. I think looking for G and for ourselves amounts to one in the same. I guess that's why i see science and religion so similar. Everyone's looking for the same thing, we just all have out own methods for trying to find it.

1. What is "In search of G"?

"In search of G" refers to the ongoing scientific quest to determine the exact value of the gravitational constant, also known as "Big G". This constant is a fundamental part of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and is used to calculate the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

2. Why is it important to find the exact value of G?

Knowing the exact value of G is crucial for accurately predicting and understanding the behavior of objects in the universe. It is used in various fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering, and any slight variation in its value can have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of gravity.

3. How do scientists determine the value of G?

Scientists use various experimental methods to determine the value of G. One common method involves using a torsion balance to measure the gravitational force between two masses. Another method involves using a Cavendish balance, which uses a delicate balance and a beam of light to measure the gravitational force. These experiments require precise measurements and repeated trials to calculate an accurate value of G.

4. Has the value of G ever changed?

There have been several attempts to measure the value of G throughout history, and the results have varied slightly. However, these differences are most likely due to experimental error rather than any actual changes in the value of G. So far, there is no evidence to suggest that the value of G has changed over time.

5. What is the current accepted value of G?

The current accepted value of G is 6.67430 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2, with an uncertainty of 0.00015 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2. This value was determined by the latest experiments and is widely accepted by the scientific community. However, scientists continue to strive for more accurate measurements and may revise this value in the future as technology and methods improve.