Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In terms difficulty

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1
    Relist, in your opinion, these five kinds of engineering in terms of difficulty.
    aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering and civil engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This question comes up a lot, and is completely pointless.

I have a lot more trouble with anything of an electrical nature, but that's just me. I also found the aero aspects of my (mech) course more difficult than others, but this is such a ridiculously subjective question that any answers you get will be based on individual experiences and will certainly not reflect the difficulty of the actual tasks carried out by these types of engineers.

In addition, the distinction between the different disciplines is far more blurry in real life practice, than in a university course. Someone with the job title of Chemical or Civil Engineer could easily be carrying out tasks more commonly associated with a Mechanical (or even Aero) Engineer, and this crossover can be seen between almost any disciplines.

4. Jul 5, 2005 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But most of people here in Spain bases his choice by means of student withdraw statistics. Here, the statistics show that the order is approximately:

i) Aeronautical Engineering (5 years program)--- Ingenería Aeronáutica
    iii) Civil Engineering (6 years program)---Ingeniería de Caminos, Canales y Puertos.
    iii) Mechanical Engineering (5 years program)---Ingeniería Mecánica
    iv) Electrical Engineering (5 years program)---Ingeniería Eléctrica
    v) Chemical Engineering (5 years program)---Ingeniería Química

That's what I can say, but I think in USA it's pretty different. As the british brewn-dog has said :biggrin:, the school you choose is a very important factor for doing the task more difficult.

5. Jul 14, 2005 #4
    based on what I've heard, chemical engineering is one of the hardest, if not the hardest. Also from what I've heard,civil engineering is one of the easiest. Most people think electrical engineering is harder than mechanical engineering, and I would have to agree with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?