Who are the pioneers of the solid state transistor?

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
In summary, many scientists have made significant contributions to science, but some of the most notable include the chemists who developed various plastics, quantum mechanics researchers such as Planck, Heisenberg, Bohr, and Dirac, and the team of John Bardeen, Walter Houser Brattain, and William Bradford Shockley who invented the solid state transistor. These contributions have greatly impacted our daily lives, revolutionizing our ways of living and leading to technological advancements.
Zygotic Embryo
Who do you think has contributed the most towards science- Since Albert E.

Hawking?

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemists who developed various plastics.
This has totally revolutionized our ways of living, with innumerable easy-to-afford products.

Ahhh, that's true.

Good thinking. that never even crossed my mind.

arildno said:
The chemists who developed various plastics.
This has totally revolutionized our ways of living, with innumerable easy-to-afford products.

And massive pollution and land fills

Definitely not Hawking - he didn't do that much and most of what he did was minor extensions of GR. I'd probably pick one of the scientists responsible for quantum mechanics - Planck, Heisenberg, Bohr, Dirac, etc. I don't know enough about the history to know who had the most influence, but QM is the theory most responsible for the technological advances of the second half of the 20th century.

Science teachers.

russ_watters said:
Definitely not Hawking - he didn't do that much and most of what he did was minor extensions of GR. I'd probably pick one of the scientists responsible for quantum mechanics - Planck, Heisenberg, Bohr, Dirac, etc. I don't know enough about the history to know who had the most influence, but QM is the theory most responsible for the technological advances of the second half of the 20th century.
Please come up with evidence that TV was developed explicitly on basis of QM.
Or, if that doesn't work:
How about references to how QM is explicitly used in making lenses to, say, the Hubble telescope?

Last edited:
wolram said:
And massive pollution and land fills
Do you want to take this outside?

Ivan Seeking said:
Science teachers.
Hell yes! But I would say John Bardeen, Walter Houser Brattain, and William Bradford Shockley, who were awarded the Nobel Prize in physics in 1956. They invented the solid state transistor, the vital component in all computers today.

Related to Who are the pioneers of the solid state transistor?

1. What is your opinion on the current state of climate change?

In my opinion, climate change is a pressing issue that requires immediate action. The Earth's temperature is rising at an alarming rate, leading to more frequent natural disasters and threats to our environment and species. It is important for individuals and governments to take steps to reduce carbon emissions and promote sustainable practices.

2. How do you think technology will impact the future of scientific research?

In my opinion, technology will continue to play a crucial role in advancing scientific research. With the development of more powerful computers, advanced data analysis techniques, and innovative tools, scientists will be able to conduct research more efficiently and effectively. Additionally, technology has the potential to open up new avenues of research and expand our understanding of the world.

3. What is your opinion on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in agriculture?

My opinion on GMOs is that they can have both positive and negative impacts on agriculture. While they have the potential to increase crop yields and reduce the use of pesticides, there are also concerns about the long-term effects of GMOs on the environment and human health. More research is needed to fully understand the implications of using GMOs in agriculture.

4. In your opinion, what is the most pressing issue facing the scientific community today?

In my opinion, one of the most pressing issues facing the scientific community today is the lack of diversity and inclusivity. Women, people of color, and other marginalized groups are underrepresented in many fields of science, and this can limit the perspectives and ideas being brought to the table. It is important for the scientific community to actively work towards creating a more diverse and inclusive environment.

5. What do you think is the most exciting scientific discovery or breakthrough in recent years?

In my opinion, one of the most exciting scientific discoveries in recent years is the detection of gravitational waves. This discovery, which was made possible by the advanced technologies of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), provided evidence for the existence of black holes and opened up a new window for observing the universe. It has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of astrophysics and cosmology.