In your undergrad years, is it possible to still have hobbies?

In summary, a student who wants to pursue a hobby and do well in school needs to find a balance between their hobby and their schoolwork. The student should plan for the worst and make sure they are dedicated to their schoolwork.
kramer733
Not sure if this is the right forum but i'll ask here anyway. I'm a student going into a mathematics program in the fall but I'm wondering if i can still do a hobby. But here's the thing. To understand math, i literallly have to do all the homework my teacher assigns each class. This is roughly 2.5 - 3 hours of homework a day for a typical math class in high school. We usually get 12 questions but some of them are more or less drills that have a) - f) per numbered question.

I like doing brazilian jiu jitsu and usually do it 1.5 hours a day. But factoring in travel time, it's another 1 hr.

I plan on taking 3 math classes, 1 computer science class and 1 "art" class during my first semester.

They are as follows:

Calculus
linear algebra
discrete mathematics (i think this class is kinda proof)
intro to object oriented computing.
Maybe history class or economics class?

So is it do-able to do all homework in all my classes while doing a hobby as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's possible. But it takes some dedication.

In university you can get to a point where you study or work on assignments almost continuously and still feel like you need more time. But most people will argue that at some point on the productivity as a function of time curve you reach a peak. One of the things you should learn about yourself during your undergraduate years is where this peak is. Then you organize your schedual (another thing you should learn) around optimizing your productivity.

I would speculate that most people are more productive when they take time out for hobbies and exercise.

I was in a similar situation to you when I started undergrad. In high school I spent a lot of time on the mat doing judo. In university that took a back seat, but that was because I served with the reserves, volunteered with our campus first response team, and began writing as a hobby (and the nearest club was a fair distance away).

You'll find the balance that's right for you.

I've often had internal debates on how important school is and how important my hobbies are. They often come out to being about equal. This has definitely hurt how well I do in school, though I wouldn't say it was crippling. On the other hand, I also really enjoy myself. I guess if I'm a failure and life sucks in the future, I chose the wrong path. Also, by hobbies I mean stuff like guitar, baseball, movies, concerts, etc.

Choppy said:
Of course it's possible. But it takes some dedication.

Choppy post was full of good points but this is the bottom line. A little discipline goes a long way. I wake up at 5:30 every day so I have time to maintain my grades, be a productive researcher and do what I love outside of school: weightlifting and wrestling (coincidental how judo, jiu-jitsu and wrestling all pop up in one thread). I know of many others who are on similar schedules so yea it is definitely possibly but in most cases it is not easy.

If your computer science class is Software Engineering, and Assembly Langauge Programming, your math class is Analysis part I, and the rest of the classes are complete BS, then no. It's not possible.

Otherwise, it's not too bad.

descendency said:
If your computer science class is Software Engineering, and Assembly Langauge Programming, your math class is Analysis part I, and the rest of the classes are complete BS, then no. It's not possible.

Otherwise, it's not too bad.

It is possible it's just difficult. Last semester I took 3 graduate courses, one undergrad course (Analysis I incidentally), 2 less intensive courses and was workign on two research projects. It was the toughest semester I've ever had or probably ever will have but I made it through and didn't miss a single workout. The point is: you can do it if you want it bad enough.

I take it your BJJ school is some distance away. Can you find a dojo that's closer? Maybe even your university will have a club or class.

That said, I know how it is to be attached to a specific martial arts school...finding a place that's a good fit can be tough.

Given the amount of time you need to devote to high school maths then i wouldn't hold out much hope of having much time for hobbies. If you haven't done Calculus or programming in high school the you have two high hurdles, right there, to clamber over. Plan for the worst - you may need to devote every waking hour to mastering these subjects - note how many clever people drop out of calculus. And they aren't doing jock stuff for 21/2 hours a day.

@OP, you NEED hobbies or outside interests to keep yourself grounded. They need not be real time-consuming. As a matter of fact, hobbies that you engage in for short periods are really good for your head. In engineering school, I liked to draw and paint. That's something that you can pick up and put down whenever you want. Start on a sketch or painting, and set it aside when you're re-energized and want to go back to studying.

I also played guitar, and that's something else you can pick up for a session and stop when you want. I earned my "living expenses" by buying and selling guitars and amps and repairing them, and by playing for frat parties on weekends. You can do a LOT of stuff while you're an an undergrad, if you use your time wisely. Structured stuff like martial arts with fixed class-times and travel-time can trip you up, but if you substitute running or some other solo exercise that you can do whenever you like, you can still stay fit and keep up with your classwork.

One hint: classwork consumes a LOT less of your time if you keep up with it and don't allow yourself to fall behind. Playing catch-up is time-consuming and stressful. Good luck.

Plenty of people have already offered great advice, and I'd just like to add that if you don't have time for hobbies during your undergrad, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Just be sure to start work when it is assigned; college tends to have less nonsense work and more work which actually involves learning. At least most of those classes have no papers, lol.

One of my hobbies is eating...does that count? I mean eating is a good hobbie. Lately I find myself only having two meals a day lol, so I just got to shove food even if I am not hungry

I wouldn't quit BJJ. The one semester that I was so busy I fell behind on good eating/fitness I got sick way too frequently. It probably even killed my productivity enough that it wasn't worth it. That said, I've always found that having extracurrics really helps you manage your time, as long as you are realistic about the time it takes you to do things and don't overload yourself. It also depends on the kind of person you are. Most of my friends are through my hobbies (dance, and physics outreach), and by participating in them I can maintain the strong relationships I need that encourage and push me through the most difficult weeks of school. I'm really extroverted though, so most of my energy comes from interacting with others.

wow thanks a lot guys.

mal4mac said:
If you haven't done Calculus or programming in high school the you have two high hurdles, right there, to clamber over. Plan for the worst - you may need to devote every waking hour to mastering these subjects - note how many clever people drop out of calculus. And they aren't doing jock stuff for 21/2 hours a day.

But you'll find that this is a bad, bad, bad strategy. If you don't go out and exercise, get enough sleep, and keep yourself fit, you'll find yourself in a bad spiral, in which being unproductive leads you work harder which leads you to be more unproductive.

Working on Jujitsu is going to help you be *MORE* productive. Something that you need to realize is that human beings need X hours of sleep and Y hours of relaxation, and if you don't get it in a planned way, your body will get it some other way.

As far as people that drop out:

1) You may be in a situation where you have a horribly taught class. If you are in a class in which only X% of people pass regardless of how well they do, then you should look for alternatives. For example, if you find yourself in a big state school weed out calculus class *GET OUT* and try to get the credits in community college or hire a private tutor and test out.

2) Burn out is a big danger for people in the sciences. I've seen more people drop out because they spent *too much* effort into science than too little. Also people in the sciences often sneer at "jock stuff" but it's really important to keep healthy.

One other thing to remember is that don't delude yourself into thinking that you'll be spending a few years of hell and then everything will be easier. It won't. If you aren't enjoying it now, you won't enjoy it later.

twofish-quant said:
One other thing to remember is that don't delude yourself into thinking that you'll be spending a few years of hell and then everything will be easier. It won't. If you aren't enjoying it now, you won't enjoy it later.
Ridiculously well put.

Not having time for hobbies is in my opinion a load of crap. If you don't find time for other things than just studying, you're not doing it right and you probably should find a college/job more appropriate for you.

It might be very hashly put, but I hope my main point is clear and nobody takes offence in the way I put it. :)

Related to In your undergrad years, is it possible to still have hobbies?

1. Can I balance my studies and hobbies during my undergrad years?

Yes, it is definitely possible to balance your studies and hobbies during your undergrad years. It's important to prioritize your time and make a schedule that allows for both academic responsibilities and leisure activities. This can help prevent burnout and allow for a well-rounded college experience.

2. Will having hobbies in college affect my grades?

Having hobbies in college can actually improve your grades. Hobbies can provide a break from studying and can help improve focus and productivity when you return to your academic work. Additionally, engaging in activities you enjoy can reduce stress and improve overall well-being, which can have a positive impact on your academic performance.

3. How can I find time for hobbies while also being involved in extracurricular activities and part-time jobs?

It may seem overwhelming to balance multiple commitments, but it's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may involve cutting back on less important activities or finding ways to combine hobbies with other responsibilities. For example, if you enjoy listening to music, you can listen while doing homework or commuting to work.

4. Will having hobbies in college help with my future career?

Yes, having hobbies in college can be beneficial for your future career. Hobbies can develop skills such as time management, creativity, and communication, which are transferable to many job roles. Additionally, participating in extracurricular activities and hobbies can help build a well-rounded resume and make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.

5. What are some examples of hobbies that are popular among undergrad students?

Popular hobbies among undergrad students can vary, but some common ones include playing sports, writing, painting, cooking, photography, and gaming. However, any activity that brings you joy and helps you relax can be considered a hobby. It's important to find something that you genuinely enjoy and can fit into your schedule.