Why Must an Incandescent Bulb Filament Have a Low Evaporation Rate?

In summary, if the filament has a low evaporation rate below the melting point, it will keep the metal from evaporating and the bulb will still be OK, but the bulb will get dimmer over time as resistance increases. If the filament becomes less uniform in thickness, the resistance at points along the filament will be higher than at thinner points, and the life of the bulb would decrease.
Simon Clement
Hello here

Why is it necessary that the filament of an Incandescent bulb to have low evaporation rate below melting point?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What things do you picture might eventually happen if metal kept evaporating off the hot filament?

Gets thinner

Simon Clement said:
Gets thinner
But the bulb should still be OK

Simon Clement said:
Gets thinner
Would that be a problem?

Resistance would increase and thus power consumed by bulb decreases. Bulb gets dimmer.

Simon Clement said:
Can I say the resistance if the filament would increase?

Then that would make the power consumed by bulb brighter and hence bulb brighter.
If the bulb became thinner, its resistance would increase, certainly. This means it will draw decreasing current.

In reality, it won't become uniformly thinner, some areas will lose more metal than others.

What do you think will become of the atoms of metal that have evaporated off the hot filament?

They would fall off from the metal. Most likely landing on the soft glass of the bulb

Simon Clement said:
They would fall off from the metal. Most likely landing on the soft glass of the bulb
Condensing on the cool (i.e., cooler) glass surface, and as the layer of metal builds, the glass seems to darken.

Ooh OK. So the bulb gets dimmer due to increased resistance and due to the to the evaporated black particles of the filament.

Simon Clement said:
Ooh OK. So the bulb gets dimmer due to increased resistance and due to the to the evaporated black particles of the filament.
Yes, a combination of two effects.

But it's a decrease in the average brightness of the thinning filament, that we observe. If the filament becomes non-uniform in thickness, then we can expect it will have non-uniform resistance along its length. What might be a consequence of this?

Likes Asymptotic
Nothing coming to my mind.

Except that the luminous Flux won't be same along the filament. But even if that's true, I'm guessing we won't be able to observe that variation.

We would not discern variations with the naked eye, but sensitive instruments should be able to pick up non-uniform emission. Also, as evaporation continued, some points along the filament might experience significant thinning. How would this influence the temperature at those points along the filament?

Temperature at thinner points would be higher than less thinner points as the have higher resistance.

Since filament is tungsten, I don't think the temperature would be high enough to melt the filament even with the increased temperature.

I would say life of the bulb would decrease.

You should now be in a position to speculate on the sequence of events that marks the catastrophic end point in the life of an incandescent bulb. :cool:

Likes krater
Thank you very much. I get it better now.

Likes dlgoff and NascentOxygen

What is an incandescent bulb filament?

An incandescent bulb filament is a thin wire inside an incandescent light bulb that is heated to a high temperature by an electrical current, causing it to emit light.

What material is used to make incandescent bulb filaments?

Traditionally, incandescent bulb filaments were made of tungsten due to its high melting point and resistance to heat. However, some newer bulbs may use other materials such as carbon or alloys to increase efficiency.

How does an incandescent bulb filament produce light?

When electrical current flows through the filament, it heats up and begins to glow, emitting light. This process is known as incandescence.

Why do incandescent bulb filaments eventually burn out?

Over time, the constant heating and cooling of the filament causes it to weaken and eventually break. This is often due to the presence of impurities in the filament material.

What are the disadvantages of using incandescent bulbs?

Incandescent bulbs are known for being inefficient, as they produce more heat than light. They also have a shorter lifespan compared to other types of bulbs, such as LEDs or CFLs. Additionally, incandescent bulbs are being phased out in many countries due to their high energy consumption and carbon emissions.