1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined plane with friction, find kinetic energy.

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    I need someone to double check it, because this was an exam given by my teacher and I am trying to solve it, but I do not have any results so I would like to know if I did it correctly or not. Thank you!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks m1 = 50kg and m2= 100kg are attached to a rope as shown in figure. Pulley is massless. The angle of the inclined plane is pi/6 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.250. Find the variation of kinetic energy if the body m1 goes up 20meters.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    kinetic energy = 1/2 mv^2
    kinetic friction = mu*normal force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attachment
    or: http://i40.tinypic.com/6hklm8.jpg for better quality.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF! Thanks for taking time to show your whole solution so clearly.

Over on the right side, where you first have "a =", it appears you are missing a "-m₂g" in the numerator. Also, the "μ*m₁*cos(30)" should have a factor of g as well. I end up with a negative acceleration (m₂ goes down) of about 4.

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3
    Aw, how could I fall in such a stupid typos mistakes ! :(.
    Thanks a lot, that's appreciated. Forgetting about the "numbers" is the reasoning correct ( I mean the use of the formulas) or is there anything wrong? Thanks a lot!

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, it all looks good! Nice use of variables right up to the calculation stage.

6. Nov 19, 2011 #5
    Alright! Thanks a lot, I am grateful and I appreciate your help. Thanks again :)

7. Nov 19, 2011 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Most welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook