Inclined Pulley system, little information given.

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving the equation for the tension in a rope, but was unable to find a solution that matched the given specifications.
alexgmcm

Homework Statement

I have dutifully reproduced the problem in OODraw please forgive the poor aesthetic quality but I believe all the important information is visible.
fnYb6.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]mgL-Lsin(\theta)m'g = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{m'v'^2}{2} [/tex]
[tex] T=T'[/tex]
[tex] v=v'[/tex]
[tex] \therefore v^2 = \frac{2gl(m-m'sin(\theta)}{m+m'}[/tex]
[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{2gl(m-m'sin(\theta)}{m+m'}}[/tex]

Also:

[tex]m'a = T-m'gsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]ma = mg - T[/tex]
[tex]\therefore m(g-a)=m'(a+gsin(\theta))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that T must be equal to T' as it is the same rope and hence can only have one tension? It just seemed to make more sense. The Lsin(theta) bit comes from the assumption that the rope length remains constant and hence m' is dragged parallel to the slope the same distance that m falls. I also assumed that v' must equal v as otherwise the rope would break, I just don't see how it could make physical sense if they weren't equal.

I need an expression for V in terms of L and theta and possibly g. That makes the second part of the question solvable. But I cannot see how to cancel the expressions for the masses out of my equations.

Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, there is no way to cancel m or m', because the speed depends on them.

The best you can do is set [tex] M = m/m' [/tex] to get

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac {2 g l (M - sin(\theta))} {M+1} } [/tex]

Hmmm.. that doesn't help with the second part of the question though where i have to show that it is equal to 1.5ms^-1 for certain parameters, because I am not given any info about the masses or their ratios.

I wonder if we are meant to assume m=m' and the question has just been given poorly. I will see what I can get with that assumption.

Putting m=m' we get that:
[tex] v= \sqrt{gL(1-sin(\theta))} [/tex]

However for L=1, theta = 20 degrees, this yields a value of 2.54ms^-1 not 1.5ms^-1 as specified in the question.

Therefore m cannot equal m'.

Unfortunately given the fact that I have no information about the masses I cannot see a solution to this problem!?

What is an inclined pulley system?

An inclined pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a pulley attached to an inclined plane. It is used to lift or move objects by using the force of gravity and the mechanical advantage of the pulley.

How does an inclined pulley system work?

The inclined pulley system works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. The pulley redirects the force needed to lift the object along the inclined plane, making it easier to move the object upwards.

What is the mechanical advantage of an inclined pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined pulley system is dependent on the number of pulleys in the system. Each additional pulley increases the mechanical advantage by a factor of two.

What are some common uses of an inclined pulley system?

Inclined pulley systems are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in everyday objects such as blinds and curtains.

What factors affect the efficiency of an inclined pulley system?

The efficiency of an inclined pulley system is affected by the angle of the inclined plane, the weight of the load, and the friction between the pulley and the rope. A steeper angle and lighter load will result in a more efficient system.