1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Including a picture in latex

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a picture in the pictures folder, saved as pic.gif and i want to put this into my latex text, how do i do this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To be honest i have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try something like this:

\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{center}
    \includegraphics[width=2.5in,height=2.5in]{mypicture.gif}
    \end{center}

I know this works if the picture is in the directory with your tex file. You can try it with a path in the filename.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    but it's not in the directory with the tex file, how do i put it in the same directory?

thank you

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To make sure I'm not misunderstanding what you are asking, you are talking about a tex document and a picture you have your own computer at home, right? At least, that's what I assume. Can't you just copy or move your gif file to the directory where you keep your tex files? Or don't I understand what you are trying to do?

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    you are understanding what im trying to do but because im a beginner with latex, i dont know how to do basic things.
    how do i move my gif picture into the directory where i keep my tex files?

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Moving a file has nothing to do with Latex. It depends on your computer. If you have windows you can simply "drag and drop" the file from one folder to another. Or right click on the file and copy/paste it to the new directory. For apple or unix I can't help you.

8. Nov 11, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What operating system are you using? Moving files around is an OS kind of thing, unrelated to latex. If you're using Windows, you can do file operations using Windows Explorer. Navigate to the directory with you gif file, copy it, navigate to the directory with your tex files, and paste your gif file.

9. Nov 11, 2009 #8
    this might be a stupid thing to say...but i dont know where my tex files are

:O

10. Nov 11, 2009 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll have to take it from here Mark. I'm off to choir practice this evening and she needs more time than I have right now.

11. Nov 12, 2009 #10
    i fixed it... :)

thak you.
    I move the pictures to the tex files directory.

12. Nov 12, 2009 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, good. I'm glad it worked for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook