Applying Induction to Inclusion-Exclusion Principle for Probability Measures

• MHB
  • Thread starter Julio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of induction on $n$ to show the equation $P(\displaystyle\bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n P(A_i)-\displaystyle\sum_{i<j} P(A_i\cup A_j)+\displaystyle\sum_{i<j<k} P(A_i\cup A_j\cup A_k)-\cdots - (-1)^n P(A_1\cup A_2\cup ... \cup A_n)$, where $P$ is a measure of probability for events $A_i$.
Julio1
Show that

$P(\displaystyle\bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n P(A_i)-\displaystyle\sum_{i<j} P(A_i\cup A_j)+\displaystyle\sum_{i<j<k} P(A_i\cup A_j\cup A_k)-\cdots - (-1)^n P(A_1\cup A_2\cup ... \cup A_n).$

Hello, the Hint is use induction on $n$.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume that the "[tex]A_i[/tex]" are sets but what is "P"?

HallsofIvy said:
I presume that the "[tex]A_i[/tex]" are sets but what is "P"?

Hello HallsofIvy. It is understood that $A_i$ are events and $P$ is a measure of probability, i.e.:

$P: \mathcal{A}\to [0,1], A\mapsto P(A).$

What is the inclusion-exclusion principle?

The inclusion-exclusion principle is a counting technique used in combinatorics to calculate the number of elements in a set that satisfy certain conditions. It is based on the idea that the total number of elements in a set can be obtained by adding the number of elements that satisfy each individual condition, and then subtracting the number of elements that satisfy multiple conditions to avoid counting them twice.

How is the inclusion-exclusion principle used in mathematics?

The inclusion-exclusion principle is used to solve problems involving counting or probability, such as finding the number of ways to arrange objects or the probability of multiple events occurring together. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as graph theory and number theory.

What is the formula for the inclusion-exclusion principle?

The formula for the inclusion-exclusion principle is:

|A ∪ B ∪ C| = |A| + |B| + |C| - |A ∩ B| - |A ∩ C| - |B ∩ C| + |A ∩ B ∩ C|

where |A| represents the number of elements in set A, and ∪ and ∩ represent union and intersection, respectively.

What is an example of using the inclusion-exclusion principle?

An example of using the inclusion-exclusion principle is finding the number of ways to arrange 3 red, 4 blue, and 5 green balls in a row. We can use the formula to calculate the total number of arrangements by adding the number of ways to arrange only red balls, only blue balls, and only green balls, and then subtracting the number of ways to arrange both red and blue balls, both red and green balls, and both blue and green balls. Finally, we add back the number of ways to arrange all three colors together to avoid double counting.

What are some limitations of the inclusion-exclusion principle?

The inclusion-exclusion principle can become computationally complex and time-consuming when dealing with a large number of conditions or sets. It also assumes that the conditions or sets are independent, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all problems and may require some modifications or extensions in certain cases.