Inclusivity and sensitivity: a term

In summary, the conversation is about the use of language and labels when referring to individuals with disabilities and those experiencing homelessness. The group discusses the importance of putting the person first and not defining them solely by their condition. They also mention the influence of Luis-Rojas Marcos in changing the narrative around homelessness and the Americans with Disabilities Act as an example of prioritizing the humanity of individuals. Despite some differences in opinions, the conversation ultimately ends with a request for the thread to be closed.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
In a discussion, looking for source material.
I'm not sure how to categorize this, let alone cite some authority on it.

They aren't "disabled people"; they are "people with disabilities".
They aren't "homeless people"; they are "people experiencing homelessness".

The logic is that they are people first. Their condition is not their identity.

I'm most interested in the "homeless" scenario though.

But I don't know how I can cite a source for the rationale of the label arrangement.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @DaveC426913 , Luis-Rojas Marcos in NY city. He did a lot for homeless. Basically, in his opinion, were disabled people who needed help. It was eighties, but not sure.
Love

Thanks but that's not really what I'm after. And I am having trouble articulating it.

What ... influential human rights entity would be recommending we change society's narrative from "homeless people" to "people experiencing homelessness" in an effort to prioritize the humanity of the crisis.

From where might I cite the words of such an entity espousing this?

I think it may be an intractable question.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Apologies, I have made a classic error of my people. I've grown up to believe that one of the goals of a federal government was to promote a minimum standard of living for all - and I made the mistake of assuming other first world countries believe that too. I have no common ground with the people I am debating with.

Requesting thread be closed.

1. What does inclusivity and sensitivity mean?

Inclusivity and sensitivity refer to creating an environment where everyone feels welcome, respected, and valued regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or any other identity.

2. Why is inclusivity and sensitivity important?

Inclusivity and sensitivity are important because they promote diversity, equity, and fairness. They create a sense of belonging and foster a positive and productive environment for all individuals.

3. How can we promote inclusivity and sensitivity?

We can promote inclusivity and sensitivity by being aware of our biases, educating ourselves on different identities and experiences, actively listening to and respecting others, and advocating for marginalized communities.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to be inclusive and sensitive?

Some common mistakes include assuming that everyone has the same experiences and needs, using language that is exclusionary or offensive, and not actively listening to and considering the perspectives of marginalized groups.

5. How can we address and correct our mistakes in promoting inclusivity and sensitivity?

We can address and correct our mistakes by acknowledging them, apologizing sincerely, and actively learning and making changes to our behaviors and language. It is also important to listen to and seek feedback from those who were affected by our mistakes.