1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incomplete solution of integral

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    The task is to integrate dθ/(k-cosθ) from -pi to pi.

This is the case - I have solved this and also seen the teacher solve this on the board but I am not satisfied with the method and answer. We used the method of resdues.

This is how my instructor would solve it:

F(cosθ,sinθ)=1/(k-cosθ)

F(x,y)=1/(k-x)=P(x,y)/Q(x,y)

Q(x,y)=k-x

x^2+y^2=1 implies Q(x,y)≠0 iff |k| is greater than 1.

-1≤k≤1 implies that Q(x,y)=0 iff x=k.

Indeed this seems legitimate.

He then evaluates the residues for |k| greater than 1 only.

However, when k is not greater than one, the poles lie on the unit circle in the finite/complex plane. In this case the residue method cannot be used and the answer is therefore not complete. What is the solution of this integral without the assumption that |k| is greater than 1?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Assuming real k: with ##|k| \leq 1##, your function is not well-defined everywhere in the integration range, and you need a different way to write the problem.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Yeah, your assumtion is correct. Well, that is how the problem was stated. All you are given is the integral, which I have presented in words instead of using the integral sign. Thus, how would I write it in a different way to make it possible to solve?

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the integral you want to calculate, and the reason why you want to do that.

Something like
    $$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \left( \int_{-\pi}^{\arccos(k)-\epsilon} \frac{d\theta}{k-cos(\theta)} + \int_{\arccos(k)+\epsilon}^{\pi} \frac{d\theta}{k-cos(\theta)} \right)$$
    might be possible to evaluate.

6. Jan 20, 2013 #5
    Ah, of course! That's Cauchy's principal value of the integral. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook