Increasing resistance and the effect on voltage

In summary, adding a resistor in series or parallel to a parallel plate capacitor will not increase the electric field between the plates. Only increasing the voltage by adding an extra battery will increase the electric field. This is because the capacitor is an open circuit in a DC current, so adding a resistor will not affect the current flow.
dr2453

Homework Statement

Which of the following will most likely increase the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?
(a) Adding a resistor that is connected to the capacitor in series
(b) Adding a resistor that is connected to the capacitor in parallel
(c) Increasing the distance between the plates
(d) Adding an extra battery to the system

Homework Equations

E=V/d
V=iR

The Attempt at a Solution

(c) was automatically out, as pe r E=V/d. I am stuck between between a, b, and c. I know that adding a battery would increase V, thus increasing E. However, I'm confused about whether increasing resistance decreases or increases voltage. According to V=iR, it seems like it should (there's nothing in the problem indicating whether i is constant). Does increasing resistance decrease or increase the voltage applied to the capacitor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, (b) was supposed to be Adding a resistor that is connected to the capacitor in parallel.

(d) mentions a battery, so we are talking about dc current. In this case, the circuit is open at the capacitor. So, adding a resistor in series doesn't change anything, this eliminates (a). Neither does adding a resistor in parallel, because the voltage stays the same. Since you ruled out (c) by yourself, the correct answer would be (d).

Thanks! That's what I thought the answer would be. But why does adding a resistor not change anything?

Since it is d.c. the current through the capacitor is in one direction only. So what will happen to the charge on the capacitor as time increases? And after a long enough time has passed, what will happen then?

@dr2453, the voltage between battery terminals is constant, so current cannot flow across the capacitor. This is because the capacitor's plates are separated by a dielectric film or air, only a changing electric field (voltage) would make the current pass through it.
So, if a resistor it's added in series, no current would flow through it, and the capacitor would be directly connected to the battery, as if the resistor wasn't there. The same goes if the resistor is added in parallel, the capacitor is still directly connected to the battery and nothing changes.
@BruceW, I'm sure this problem isn't about transitory response, so there's no need to involve time. However, in that case the charge will increase exponentially with time, until it reaches the value Q= C*V, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage of the battery.

Related to Increasing resistance and the effect on voltage

1. How does increasing resistance affect voltage?

Increasing resistance results in a decrease in voltage. This is because resistance and voltage have an inverse relationship, meaning that as resistance increases, voltage decreases.

2. What is the formula for calculating voltage with increased resistance?

The formula for calculating voltage is V = I x R, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. If resistance is increased, the resulting voltage will decrease.

3. Can increasing resistance damage a circuit?

Yes, increasing resistance can damage a circuit if the resistance becomes too high. This can cause excessive heat and potentially lead to a short circuit or other malfunctions.

4. How can increasing resistance be beneficial?

Increasing resistance can be beneficial in certain situations, such as reducing the flow of current in a circuit. This can be useful for controlling the amount of power being used or preventing damage to sensitive components.

5. What are some common ways to increase resistance in a circuit?

Some common ways to increase resistance in a circuit include adding resistors, increasing the length of the circuit, or using materials with higher resistivity. These methods can be used to control the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.