Indecisive with a dual major Science and Engineering

In summary: With that said, I am not an EE so I don't know how common it is for EE's to actually study tunneling.In summary, the conversation discusses the best combination for someone interested in both science and engineering, specifically in the fields of applied mathematics or theoretical physics and civil or electrical engineering. The group agrees that theoretical physics and applied mathematics would be a good mix, and that there are many job opportunities for electrical engineering. They also mention the possibility of information theory and control system theory being good areas to focus on. However, there is some disagreement about whether theoretical physics and EE are a good combination, with some saying they have common mathematics and others pointing out their differences. Ultimately, they suggest that the individual should follow their interests and
Pendulum Swing
Hey guys,

Science I want to major in either applied mathematics or theoretical physics. I know it sounds cute to most real mathematicians but I love solving integrals (serious) and even in my free time I print out sheets at home and do numerous of weird integral calculus problems. However, I have a big interest of the mathematics behind physics via Quantum Mechanics or Quantum Electrodynamics (Path integral formulation) and even special relativity (space-time) where I would have the chance to solve integrals that would have four or six folds (four + integrals). Lol.

As for Engineering, it's a toss up between civil or electrical. Well, I feel like I do not have a chance to get into Civil because it's too competitive and there's going to be a lot of year 12 kids wanting to Civil at Monash whereareas Electrical is not as competitive as Civil. The thing is that I really don't mind doing electrical because compared to most engineering fields it has the most maths (which I love). However, civil has more jobs than electrical which somewhat frightens me because I don't want to graduate and be jobless. Also do you think there's going to be more jobs for electrical?

Cliffs:

So what do you think would be the best combination for me?

Science(Applied Mathematics)/Engineering(Civil) or
Science(Theoretical Physics)/Engineering(Electrical)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical physics and EE is a pretty poor combo, as they deal with quite different issues. But EE + Applied maths seems to be a good mix, and theoretical physics + applied maths is even better. Civil engineering maths is not that difficult from what I know, but even if you go civil taking more math classes can't hurt.

Take my post with a grain of salt tho as I'm not very familiar with the US university system.

Likes Pendulum Swing
I live in Australia.

I'm a science student wanting to transfer into a double degree program. Some science and engineering units cross-over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pendulum Swing said:
However, civil has more jobs than electrical which somewhat frightens me because I don't want to graduate and be jobless. Also do you think there's going to be more jobs for electrical?

I can't speak for Australia in particular, but there are lots and lots of electrical engineering jobs out there. I mean, think about it. Anything technological these days from cell phones to tablets to well, any technological gadget is all about electrical engineering.

[Edit: I also have to disagree with the comment about EE and physics being a poor combo. They share a lot of common mathematics such as Fourier analysis for example, among many other things. Electromagnetic theory is common to both as another example.]

Last edited:
Likes Pendulum Swing
collinsmark said:
I can't speak for Australia in particular, but there are lots and lots of electrical engineering jobs out there. I mean, think about it. Anything technological these days from cell phones to tablets to well, any technological gadget is all about electrical engineering.

[Edit: I also have to disagree with the comment about EE and physics being a poor combo. They share a lot of common mathematics such as Fourier analysis for example, among many other things. Electromagnetic theory is common to both as another example.]

Thanks dude. What do you think would complement well with EE? Theoretical Physics or Applied Mathematics?

Pendulum Swing said:
Thanks dude. What do you think would complement well with EE? Theoretical Physics or Applied Mathematics?

Follow your interests! :)

Likes Pendulum Swing
I majored in EE and Physics. I originally went with EE because it looked like a degree that would be easy to get a job with and had a lot of math. I liked my Engineering classes, but it took a few years for me to realize that I wasn't particularly excited about being an Engineer. I much preferred the research, and theoretical end of things, so I added Physics as a second major.

Getting a job was incredibly easy for me, but it wasn't in EE or Physics. Right now, I'm primarily a Computer Programmer. It's not my favorite kind of job, but it pays the bills, and I do occasionally get to do programming for research projects.

Likes Delong
I saw the title and thought Duel Major... I choose pistols at twenty paces!

Likes Delong, Pendulum Swing and collinsmark
By the way, if you are interested in electrical engineering, physics and mathematics, you might consider an emphasis in information theory. It's a subject that transcends them all. It's all of them, yet none of them.

Last edited:
Likes Delong and Pendulum Swing
Yeah a somewhat more applied type of physics
collinsmark said:

Fair enough, but theoretical physics includes allot of classes in particle physics, Quantum mechanics, statistical physics and so on. A more applied/experimental physics specialization or applied maths would be much better I think.

Likes Pendulum Swing
Check into at least one course in modern control system theory. Math intensive yet directly applies to real world.

Jobs ? just wait'll the grid starts getting smart ...

Likes Pendulum Swing
Nikitin said:
Theoretical physics and EE is a pretty poor combo, as they deal with quite different issues.
Hmmm, in general I would agree with you, but cases do exist when they compliment each other well. In EE specializations dealing with semiconductors (say, VLSI studies), you can run into cases where tunneling effects become significant. Whether this is relevant to this thread depends on OP's interest I guess.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a dual major in Science and Engineering?

A dual major in Science and Engineering provides a unique combination of theoretical and practical knowledge, allowing individuals to approach problems from multiple perspectives. This can lead to a more well-rounded skill set and greater job opportunities in both fields.

2. Is it difficult to balance the requirements of two majors?

It can be challenging, but with proper time management and organization, it is possible to balance the requirements of two majors. It is important to communicate with advisors and professors to create a feasible schedule and prioritize coursework.

3. Will I have to take extra classes to complete a dual major in Science and Engineering?

It depends on the specific program and requirements of your university. Some dual majors may have overlapping courses, allowing you to complete both degrees in a similar timeframe as a single major. However, others may require additional classes, so it is important to research and plan accordingly.

4. What career opportunities are available with a dual major in Science and Engineering?

A dual major in Science and Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, development, technology, and engineering. Graduates may also find employment in industries that require a combination of technical and analytical skills, such as consulting or project management.

5. Can I switch one of my majors to a minor if I find it too difficult?

It is possible to switch one of your majors to a minor, but it is important to carefully consider the implications and consult with advisors before making any changes. Dropping a major may affect your graduation timeline and could limit your career options. It is important to weigh the difficulty against the potential benefits of completing a dual major.