Indefinite Integral of (3x^2-10)/(x^2-4x+4) dx using PARTIAL FRACTION

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
Susie babe
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Integrate (3x^2-10)/(x^2-4x+4) dx using partial fractions.


Homework Equations



None

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 but I didnt get a coeffecient of an x^2.

I've also tried using (Ax+B)/(x-2) + C/(x-2)^2



Though I honestly thought that the usual A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 would work, How do I know which formula to use. I know you have to do long division if the numerator has an x to a larger value than that of the denominator. I know when you have something like: (x^2-1) or (x^3+2) in the denominator then you use the Ax+B, Cx+D formula.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Susie babe said:

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 but I didnt get a coeffecient of an x^2.

I've also tried using (Ax+B)/(x-2) + C/(x-2)^2
Though I honestly thought that the usual A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 would work, How do I know which formula to use.
The last thing that you said is correct...
[tex]\frac{A}{x - 2} + \frac{B}{(x - 2)^2}[/tex]
... because the denominator is a linear factor squared. But before you try partial fractions, you have to use long division because the degrees of the numerator and denominator are the same.
 


The degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator. Try long division before partial fraction decomposition.
 


Susie babe said:

Homework Statement



Integrate (3x^2-10)/(x^2-4x+4) dx using partial fractions.


Homework Equations



None

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried using A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 but I didnt get a coeffecient of an x^2.

I've also tried using (Ax+B)/(x-2) + C/(x-2)^2



Though I honestly thought that the usual A/(x-2) + B/(x-2)^2 would work, How do I know which formula to use. I know you have to do long division if the numerator has an x to a larger value than that of the denominator. I know when you have something like: (x^2-1) or (x^3+2) in the denominator then you use the Ax+B, Cx+D formula.

Re-write the numerator as
[tex]3x^2-10 = 3(x^2-4x+4)+12x - 22.[/tex]
 
Ah, so if the degree of the numerator and that of the denominator are the same then you have to use long division, didnt know that. Thanks a lot guys it worked out well.