1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite Integration by exchange of variables - Problem 2

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Same as before:

[tex] \int f(u)du = F(g(x)) + C [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let

[tex] u = 1 + \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] du = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \frac {1}{u^{2}} du [/tex]

How does this work out? If u = (1 + 1/x) where did the x^2 go from dx to du?

Then it goes like this:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{u^{2}}du = \frac {u^{-1}}{-1} + C = - \frac {1}{1+\frac{1}{x}} + C [/tex]

According to the book this problem can also be done without substituting anything like so:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} * d(1 + \frac{1}{x}) = \frac {(1 + \frac {1}{x})^{-1}}{-1} + C [/tex]

So my problem here is that I do not understand exactly what is happening, is the reason that we choose u = 1 + 1/x because its derivative is -1/x^2? and that's where the x^2 went in the very first step? Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    Yes the derivative worked out to allow the x^2 to go away. Maybe you will see it better if you do it like the last one so:

[tex] du = -\frac{1}{x^{2}}dx [/tex]

or

[tex]dx = -x^2du [/tex]

So if you plug dx into the integral the negatives and the x^2's cancel. That is why choosing your u to be that is so valuable and that is what you want to generally try to do in u substitution.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Adding on to the other poster...

I prefer not to suppress the denominator.

So, u = 1 + 1/x

du/dx = (-1/x^2) dx/dx, since dx/dx = 1 you can multiply the rhs by it.

So, (-x^2) du/dx = dx/dx.

The dx in your integral can be seen as dx/dx. Substitute it with this value and we are done.

Basically the same thing as the previous poster has said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook