Indefinite Integration by exchange of variables - Problem 2

In summary: The only difference is that you don't suppress the denominator in the first step. You carry it along until the very end. In summary, the problem \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx can be solved by substituting u = 1 + 1/x and using the derivative to cancel out the x^2 term in the integral. Alternatively, the denominator can be kept and substituted with the derivative of u with respect to x, resulting in a simpler integration. Both methods lead to the same solution.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Find:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

Same as before:

[tex] \int f(u)du = F(g(x)) + C [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let

[tex] u = 1 + \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] du = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \frac {1}{u^{2}} du [/tex]

How does this work out? If u = (1 + 1/x) where did the x^2 go from dx to du?

Then it goes like this:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{u^{2}}du = \frac {u^{-1}}{-1} + C = - \frac {1}{1+\frac{1}{x}} + C [/tex]

According to the book this problem can also be done without substituting anything like so:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} * d(1 + \frac{1}{x}) = \frac {(1 + \frac {1}{x})^{-1}}{-1} + C [/tex]

So my problem here is that I do not understand exactly what is happening, is the reason that we choose u = 1 + 1/x because its derivative is -1/x^2? and that's where the x^2 went in the very first step? Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

Find:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

Same as before:

[tex] \int f(u)du = F(g(x)) + C [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let

[tex] u = 1 + \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] du = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \frac {1}{u^{2}} du [/tex]

How does this work out? If u = (1 + 1/x) where did the x^2 go from dx to du?

Then it goes like this:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{u^{2}}du = \frac {u^{-1}}{-1} + C = - \frac {1}{1+\frac{1}{x}} + C [/tex]

According to the book this problem can also be done without substituting anything like so:

[tex] \int \frac {-1}{x^{2}(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} dx = \int \frac {1}{(1+\frac{1}{x})^{2}} * d(1 + \frac{1}{x}) = \frac {(1 + \frac {1}{x})^{-1}}{-1} + C [/tex]

So my problem here is that I do not understand exactly what is happening, is the reason that we choose u = 1 + 1/x because its derivative is -1/x^2? and that's where the x^2 went in the very first step? Am I on the right track?

Yes the derivative worked out to allow the x^2 to go away. Maybe you will see it better if you do it like the last one so:

[tex] du = -\frac{1}{x^{2}}dx [/tex]

or

[tex]dx = -x^2du [/tex]

So if you plug dx into the integral the negatives and the x^2's cancel. That is why choosing your u to be that is so valuable and that is what you want to generally try to do in u substitution.

Adding on to the other poster...

I prefer not to suppress the denominator.

So, u = 1 + 1/x

du/dx = (-1/x^2) dx/dx, since dx/dx = 1 you can multiply the rhs by it.

So, (-x^2) du/dx = dx/dx.

The dx in your integral can be seen as dx/dx. Substitute it with this value and we are done.

Basically the same thing as the previous poster has said.

FAQ: Indefinite Integration by exchange of variables - Problem 2

1. How do you solve indefinite integration by exchange of variables?

To solve indefinite integration by exchange of variables, you need to first identify a suitable variable to substitute and then use the appropriate substitution rule. This will convert the integral into a simpler form which can be easily solved by applying the standard integration techniques.

2. What is the substitution rule for indefinite integration by exchange of variables?

The substitution rule for indefinite integration by exchange of variables is u = g(x), where u is the new variable and g(x) is the function being substituted. This rule allows us to replace the original variable with a new one, simplifying the integral.

3. How do you choose the appropriate variable for substitution?

The appropriate variable for substitution is usually chosen based on the complexity of the integrand. You can look for expressions or functions within the integrand that resemble known derivatives or identities, and substitute them to simplify the integral.

4. Can indefinite integration by exchange of variables be used to solve all integrals?

No, indefinite integration by exchange of variables is not suitable for all integrals. It is most effective for integrals involving algebraic expressions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It may not be useful for integrals involving logarithmic or irrational functions.

5. What is the purpose of using indefinite integration by exchange of variables?

The purpose of using indefinite integration by exchange of variables is to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also help in solving integrals that are difficult to solve using other techniques. This method can also be used to evaluate definite integrals by first finding the antiderivative using indefinite integration and then substituting the limits of integration.

Back