Indefinite Trignometric Integral

In summary, we can solve the integral ∫sinxcos(x/2)dx by using the substitution u = 1/2 + 1/2 cosx and the product-to-sum trigonometric identity. After some simplification, we get the final result of -4/3⋅(cos(x/2))3/2 + c. However, it is important to note that the original solution had an error in the last line of the solution.
in the rye

Homework Statement

∫sinxcos(x/2)dx

This isn't an actual homework problem, but one I found that I'm working on for test prep.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
∫sinxcos(x/2) dx = ∫sinx√((1+cosx)/2) dx

u = ½ + ½ cosx
-2 du = sinx dx

-2∫√(u) du = -2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c

-2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c = -4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] + c
-4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] = -4/3⋅(cos(x/2))3/2 + c

I tried to check my solution by graphing my answer with theirs, but the table is displaying different values.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the rye said:

Homework Statement

∫sinxcos(x/2)dx

This isn't an actual homework problem, but one I found that I'm working on for test prep.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
∫sinxcos(x/2) dx = ∫sinx√((1+cosx)/2) dx

u = ½ + ½ cosx
-2 du = sinx dx

-2∫√(u) du = -2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c

-2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c = -4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] + c
-4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] = -4/3⋅(cos(x/2))3/2 + c

I tried to check my solution by graphing my answer with theirs, but the table is displaying different values.
You have an error in the last line:
The formula you used for the substitution is ##\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos x}{2}}=\cos \frac{x}{2}##

Samy_A said:
You have an error in the last line:
The formula you used for the substitution is ##\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos x}{2}}=\cos \frac{x}{2}##

Gotcha, so it's probably easier to leave it where I had it in the second line. For some reason the solution isn't working, still. Even when I just plug the integral on my graphic calculator. :/

Is there a trick to getting my square roots to look fancy like yours so I can clean it up when I post?

Theres another way, I think it is easier. Remember the product to sum trigonometric identities? Use it!

in the rye said:
Gotcha, so it's probably easier to leave it where I had it in the second line. For some reason the solution isn't working, still. Even when I just plug the integral on my graphic calculator. :/
Weird, I get the same result as you, except for the erroneous square root in the final result.

@MidgetDwarf 's suggestion is also good, but as said, you really are one symbol away from the solution.

in the rye said:
Is there a trick to getting my square roots to look fancy like yours so I can clean it up when I post?
Yes, I use ##\LaTeX##. It may look difficult if you never used it, but you'll learn it quickly. It makes posts with equations much more readable, and I highly recommend the use of it.

There is a guide here, there is also a link to that guide in the bottom left of the edit box.
If you see a complex ##\LaTeX## expression and want to see how it was composed, right-click the expression written in it and select "Show Math As -> TeX Commands". A small window will appear containing the code used for that expression. Or just quote a post: the ##\LaTeX## code will in general appear between ## or $$ tags.

Last edited:

What is an indefinite trigonometric integral?

An indefinite trigonometric integral is a type of mathematical expression that represents the area under a trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine. It is written in the form of ∫ f(x) dx, where f(x) is the trigonometric function and dx represents the variable of integration.

How is an indefinite trigonometric integral solved?

An indefinite trigonometric integral is solved by using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. These techniques allow for the integral to be simplified and evaluated.

What is the difference between an indefinite and a definite trigonometric integral?

The main difference between an indefinite and a definite trigonometric integral is that an indefinite integral represents a family of functions, while a definite integral represents a specific value. Indefinite integrals have a constant of integration, while definite integrals have upper and lower limits of integration.

Why are indefinite trigonometric integrals important?

Indefinite trigonometric integrals are important because they are used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the area under a curve or finding the displacement of an object. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What are some common examples of indefinite trigonometric integrals?

Some common examples of indefinite trigonometric integrals include ∫ sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C, ∫ 2x cos(x^2) dx = sin(x^2) + C, and ∫ sec^3(x) dx = 1/2(tan(x)sec(x)) + C. These integrals can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities.