1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinite Trignometric Integral

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫sinxcos(x/2)dx

This isn't an actual homework problem, but one I found that I'm working on for test prep.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

∫sinxcos(x/2) dx = ∫sinx√((1+cosx)/2) dx

u = ½ + ½ cosx
    -2 du = sinx dx

-2∫√(u) du = -2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c

-2(2/3⋅u3/2) + c = -4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] + c
    -4/3⋅[(1+cosx)/2)3/2] = -4/3⋅(cos(x/2))3/2 + c

I tried to check my solution by graphing my answer with theirs, but the table is displaying different values.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have an error in the last line:
    The formula you used for the substitution is ##\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos x}{2}}=\cos \frac{x}{2}##

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    Gotcha, so it's probably easier to leave it where I had it in the second line. For some reason the solution isn't working, still. Even when I just plug the integral on my graphic calculator. :/

Is there a trick to getting my square roots to look fancy like yours so I can clean it up when I post?

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4
    Theres another way, I think it is easier. Remember the product to sum trigonometric identities? Use it!

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weird, I get the same result as you, except for the erroneous square root in the final result.

@MidgetDwarf 's suggestion is also good, but as said, you really are one symbol away from the solution.

Yes, I use ##\LaTeX##. It may look difficult if you never used it, but you'll learn it quickly. It makes posts with equations much more readable, and I highly recommend the use of it.

There is a guide here, there is also a link to that guide in the bottom left of the edit box.
    If you see a complex ##\LaTeX## expression and want to see how it was composed, right-click the expression written in it and select "Show Math As -> TeX Commands". A small window will appear containing the code used for that expression. Or just quote a post: the ##\LaTeX## code will in general appear between ## or $$ tags.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted