Index notation of matrix tranpose

• Thread starter birulami
  • Start date
Zee writes in Einstein Gravity in a nutshell page 186

"let us define the transpose by ##(\Lambda^T)_\sigma^\mu = \Lambda_\sigma^\mu##"

and even emphasizes the position of the indexes. Yes, they are not exchanged! This must be a typo, right?

Answers and Replies

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
No, what he says is perfectly fine: he writes ##\Lambda^{\mu}{}{}_{\sigma} = (\Lambda^T)_{\sigma}{}{}^{\mu}## which is not what you wrote above.

And you are telling me now that this glitch in the typography of the slightly out of place indexes is the crucial point?:cry:

Oh my, I thought I understood why we have upper and lower indexes? But what is the meaning of an index slighly shifted to the right?

DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And you are telling me now that this glitch in the typography of the slightly out of place indexes is the crucial point?:cry:

Oh my, I thought I understood why we have upper and lower indexes? But what is the meaning of an index slighly shifted to the right?

The left-to-right order of the indices matters: in a matrix representation the first index is the row index and the second index is the column index.

[tex]A_\lambda{}^\mu = g_{\lambda\nu} \, A^{\nu\mu} = g_{\lambda\nu} \, g^{\mu\sigma} \, A^\nu{}_\sigma[/tex]