1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index Raising in Linearized General Relavitiy

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    I'm reading a few textbooks (Straumann, Schutz, Hartle) on GR and am a little confused working through a small part of each on linearized GR.

1. Relevant equations

Using Straumann, the Ricci tensor is given by

[tex]
    R_{\mu\nu} =
    \partial_{\lambda} \Gamma^{\lambda}_{\phantom{k}\nu\mu} -
    \partial_{\nu} \Gamma^{\lambda}_{\phantom{k}\lambda\mu}
    [/tex]

with the Christoffel symbols given by

[tex]
    \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\phantom{k}\mu\nu}
    =
    \frac{1}{2}\eta^{\alpha\beta}
    (
    h_{\mu\beta,\nu} +
    h_{\beta\nu,\mu} -
    h_{\mu\nu,\beta}
    )
    [/tex]

2. The problem

My problem is that the book is confusing me on the next equality. This what I expected when applying the flat metric:

[tex]
    =
    \frac{1}{2}
    (
    \eta^{\alpha\beta}h_{\mu\beta,\nu} +
    \eta^{\alpha\beta}h_{\beta\nu,\mu} -
    \eta^{\alpha\beta}h_{\mu\nu,\beta}
    )
    \\
    =
    \frac{1}{2}
    (
    h_{\mu\phantom{\alpha},\nu}^{\phantom{k}\alpha} +
    h^{\alpha}_{\phantom{\alpha}\nu,\mu} -
    h_{\mu\nu}^{\phantom{\mu\nu},\alpha}
    )
    [/tex]

i.e. the flat metric raises all [itex]\beta[/itex]'s to [itex]\alpha[/itex]'s.

However, the book gets this

[tex]
    =
    \frac{1}{2}
    (
    h^{\alpha}_{\phantom{\alpha}\mu,\nu} +
    h^{\alpha}_{\phantom{\alpha}\nu,\mu} -
    h_{\mu\nu}^{\phantom{\mu\nu},\alpha}
    )
    [/tex]

So, the problem is in the first term: how come the book is able to swap the [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because [itex]h_{\mu \beta , \nu}[/itex] is symmetric in [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]h_{\mu\phantom{\alpha},\nu}^{\phantom{k}\alpha} = h^{\alpha}_{\phantom{\alpha}\mu,\nu}[/itex].

[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta} h_{\mu\beta,\nu} = \eta^{\alpha \beta} h_{\beta \mu , \nu}[/tex]

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    How do we know that [itex]h_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] is symmetric? I can't see it mentioned anywhere. The only condition I see is [itex]\lvert h_{\alpha\beta}\rvert \ll 1[/itex].

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]h_{\alpha\beta} = g_{\alpha\beta} - \eta_{\alpha\beta}[/itex], and [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]\eta[/itex] are both symmetric.

6. Apr 17, 2012 #5
    Why do we assume [itex]g_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] is symmetric then? Is that a property we assume of all metrics? I didn't think we did. Do we assume symmetry of [itex]g_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] as it deviates only slightly from the Minkowski metric?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. Apr 17, 2012 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In standard general relativity, yes.

No, a symmetric [itex]g[/itex] can differ substantially from the Minkowski metric.

If the metric weren't symmetric, then it would not always have a tangent space isomorphic to Minkowski spacetime. If a metric tensor field is not symmetric, then there exists at least one point (event) at which the metric tensor for the tangent space is not symmetric.

8. Apr 17, 2012 #7
    Got it now, thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook