Indices in differential geometry

In summary: The notation is used to keep track of the indices in certain mathematical operations. When performing a mathematical operation on two vectors, the indices of the vectors will be used to determine which vector is multiplied by which matrix. For example, if we have two vectors v and w, and we want to perform an inner product between them, we would write:\begin{align*}inner product of v and w = & \sum_i v_i*w_i\\\end{align*}Here, the indices of v and w will be used to determine which row and column in the matrix \sum_i will be used. Notice that the indices are always written
Cincinnatus
So I've taken two differential topology/geometry classes both from a mathematics department. I see all over this forum a whole lot of talk about indices being up or down and raising/lowering etc.

My professors barely ever mentioned these things though I did notice that when they worked in local coordinates they always wrote the indices on certain objects up and other objects down. For example, inner products of vectors always seem to have repeated indices that are up on one object and down on the other like:
inner product of x and y = sum_i (x_i*y^i)

I've never really understood what we gain from this notation. At least for my example of an inner product no information seems to be gained by writing the indices this way. When talking about more complicated things than inner products I'm at a loss as to how I should arrange the indices and what benefit there is from doing things this way.

I initially thought that the notation was up on objects that transform covariantly and down contravariantly (or vice versa) but I'm at a loss as to what this means for objects with mixed indices. It's also not at all clear to me what it means to "raise" or "lower" the indices on some object.

If anyone is willing, I'd like clarification both on how the notation actually works as well as on the "philosophy" behind why this notation was chosen.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it helps to distinguish between "covariant vectors" and "contravarient vectors". Do you understand the difference? Second, it allows you to use Einstein's "summation convention", "whenever you have the same index twice, once as a subscript and once as a superscript, sum over that index" without having to write "[itex]\sum[/itex]".

HallsofIvy said:
First, it helps to distinguish between "covariant vectors" and "contravarient vectors". Do you understand the difference? Second, it allows you to use Einstein's "summation convention", "whenever you have the same index twice, once as a subscript and once as a superscript, sum over that index" without having to write "[itex]\sum[/itex]".

Perhaps I don't understand the difference. I think of vectors as columns and covectors as rows. So a change of coordinates transformation on vectors must be left multiplication by some matrix. Whereas for covectors the equivalent transformation would have to be a right multiplication. So at least when we are talking about linear transformations I think of covariant transformations as right multiplication and contravariant transformations as left multiplication.

I also used to know the distinction in terms of pushforwards and pullbacks... but I seem to have forgotten this today.

Okay, "columns" and "rows" is a good start. More precisely, "covariant vectors" are what we might normally think of as "vectors" (tangent vectors to a manifold) while "contravariant vectors" are linear functionals defined on those vectors. Given a basis, there exist a one-to-one identification of linear functionals with vectors so we can think of [itex]\omega(v)[/itex] as the dot product of the vector identified with [itex]\omega[/itex] and v- which we can then think of as a matrix product of row and column vectors.

But notice that this depends on a specific choice of basis in the tangent space at a specific point on the manifold. If you want to work "coordinate free" or at different points on the manifold you have to be more careful.

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, "columns" and "rows" is a good start. More precisely, "covariant vectors" are what we might normally think of as "vectors" (tangent vectors to a manifold) while "contravariant vectors" are linear functionals defined on those vectors. Given a basis, there exist a one-to-one identification of linear functionals with vectors so we can think of [itex]\omega(v)[/itex] as the dot product of the vector identified with [itex]\omega[/itex] and v- which we can then think of as a matrix product of row and column vectors.

This is just saying that the vector spaces consisting of vectors and covectors are dual to each other. This description (and the one I gave) breaks down when we talk about more complicated objects with mixed indices though right?

Is there any sense in which a tensor with mixed indices is dual to another tensor with "flipped" indices?

Related to Indices in differential geometry

1. What are indices in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, indices are used to represent the dimensions of a tensor or a manifold. They are typically denoted by Latin letters, such as i, j, k, etc., and indicate the location of a component in a multidimensional object.

2. How are indices used in differential geometry?

Indices are used to represent the components of a tensor or manifold, which are mathematical objects used to describe the geometric properties of a space. They allow for the calculation of quantities such as curvature, volume, and distance in a given space.

3. What is the significance of indices in differential geometry?

Indices play a crucial role in differential geometry as they allow for the representation of geometric properties in a concise and systematic manner. They are used to define and manipulate tensors, which are essential for understanding the curvature of a space and other geometric properties.

4. Are there different types of indices in differential geometry?

Yes, there are two types of indices used in differential geometry: covariant and contravariant indices. Covariant indices are used to represent the components of a vector, while contravariant indices are used to represent the components of a dual vector. They are related by the metric tensor, which defines the relationship between the two types of indices.

5. How do indices relate to other concepts in differential geometry?

Indices are closely related to other concepts in differential geometry, such as tensors, manifolds, and the metric tensor. Tensors are defined by their indices, and the metric tensor is used to convert between covariant and contravariant indices. Manifolds, which are generalizations of surfaces, are also described using indices to represent their dimensions and properties.