Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indirectly measure if particle spin is in superstate or not?

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    Hey I'm curious if it would be possible to measure if a particle's spin is in a superstate similar to how the double slit experiment can show whether or not an electron's location is in a superstate. Wouldn't such a machine allow for FTL communications, since if we measure one of two entangled particles spin state, we force the other particle's superstate to collapse.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    No, as the spin state has a random result when measurement is made.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Just out of curiosity: What is a "superstate"?

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4
    haha, sorry, I meant superposition (I though super position only referred to a particle's location state). Also, if anyone's wondering, communication is impossible between two entangled particles [A,B] because the entanglement is the only thing the two particle's have in common, since we can't know the state of the particle A before we measure it, we have no way of checking if someone else measured particle B, making it impossible to determine not only what the state was, but even if a state change happened!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem goes into it a bit more, showing that according to the rules of quantum mechanics, none of the properties of particle A that we can glean without measuring are changed in anyway when we measure the state of particle B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook