Induced EMF in house-hold WIFI

In summary: WiFi transmitting antennas typically radiate in all directions and are only limited by the amount of power they can radiate. WiFi receiving antennas are typically directional and are only limited by the amount of power they can extract from the transmitter.
kbajpai
Hi everybody,

I was wondering how much induced EMF would be produced in a 20cm diameter coil with 100 loops produce. Has anyone conducted such an experiment?

I am interested in quantitative values of the experiment.

Thanks,
KB

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
welcome to PF

Has anyone conducted such an experiment?

not sure what you are trying to prove or achieve ??
care to elaborate further ... explain your setup better

cheers
Dave

The emf completely depends on the net magnetic flux passing through the coil (and how it's changing), and that in turn, depends on the environment the coil is suspended in. If you're in an active environment (next to a massive sub-station power transformer, the voltage could be in the millivolt range, but in a normal environment, it might be below the microvolt range. The diameter of the coil has nothing (directly) to do with the voltage. The voltage depends only on the number of turns and how fast the flux passing through the coil is changing (V = -N dø/dt). However, a larger coil might be more likely to intercept a greater amount of flux, increasing the dø/dt term of the equation and thus the coil voltage.

Relative to Wi-Fi and the coil acting as an antenna, the voltage will depend on the orientation of the coil relative to the source, the strength and distance of the source, and also needs to take impedances and matching to the receiver load into account. Your question is pretty open-ended.

The limit of total power that may be radiated from a normal WiFi transmitter is significantly less than 1/10W. Any power you can couple into a receiving antenna (whatever shape you choose) is going to be considerably less than that (in the region of less than a milliWatt) unless the transmit and receive antennae are more or less touching)_

There is a distinction between transmitting and receiving signals and transferring useful amounts of power, to drive a device.

Hello KB,

Thank you for your question. The amount of induced EMF in a 20cm diameter coil with 100 loops would depend on several factors, including the strength and frequency of the WiFi signal, the distance between the coil and the WiFi source, and the material and thickness of the coil.

There have been studies conducted on the EMF levels produced by WiFi routers in households, but I am not aware of any specific experiments using a 20cm diameter coil with 100 loops. However, based on previous research, it is likely that the induced EMF would be relatively low. The World Health Organization has stated that the EMF levels produced by WiFi routers are typically much lower than those from other sources such as cell phones or microwaves.

If you are interested in conducting such an experiment, I would recommend consulting with a qualified scientist or electrical engineer who can help you design and conduct a controlled experiment to obtain accurate and quantitative results. I hope this information helps.

Best,

1. How does WIFI in my house create induced EMF?

WIFI routers emit radio frequency (RF) signals, which induce an alternating current (AC) in nearby conductors such as electrical wiring and metal objects. This AC creates an electromagnetic field (EMF) that can be measured with a meter.

2. Is the induced EMF from WIFI harmful to my health?

There is currently no scientific evidence that the low levels of EMF from WIFI routers in households are harmful to human health. However, some individuals may experience symptoms such as headaches or fatigue in the presence of high EMF levels. It is important to follow safety guidelines and minimize exposure if concerned.

3. Can I reduce the induced EMF in my house from WIFI?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the induced EMF in your house from WIFI. These include moving the router to a central location, using a wired connection instead of WIFI, and using a lower power setting on the router. You can also purchase shields or cases for your router to reduce EMF emissions.

4. Do other household electronics also create induced EMF?

Yes, any electronic device that emits RF signals, such as cell phones, cordless phones, and microwaves, can create induced EMF. However, the strength of the EMF decreases with distance, so it is important to keep a safe distance from these devices.

5. How can I measure the induced EMF in my house from WIFI?

You can measure the induced EMF using an EMF meter. These devices are available for purchase online and in some hardware stores. Be sure to follow the instructions and safety guidelines provided with the meter.