Find the induced emf between the ends of the antenna

In summary, a car with a 75 cm long vertical radio antenna is driving west at 23 m/s. The Earth's magnetic field at the location has a magnitude of 5.9 x 10^-5 T and points 74° below the horizontal. Using the equation E=BvL with vector components, the induced emf between the ends of the antenna was calculated. The answer was initially thought to be wrong, but it was later discovered that there was an error in the calculation. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
map7s

Homework Statement

A car with a vertical radio antenna 75 cm long drives due west at 23 m/s. The Earth's magnetic field at this location has a magnitude of 5.9 10-5 T and points northward, 74° below the horizontal. Find the induced emf between the ends of the antenna.

Homework Equations

I tried using the equation E=BvL with the different vector components. I also tried it without using the vector components and I got the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your work using the vector components please. Is the answer wrong?

Okay, never mind...I found out what I was doing wrong...thank you sooooo much!

1. What is "induced emf"?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a conductor when it is moved through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field around it changes.

2. How is the induced emf calculated?

The induced emf can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

3. What factors affect the induced emf?

The magnitude of the induced emf depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor is moving, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field.

4. How does an antenna use induced emf?

An antenna uses induced emf to convert electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, into electrical signals that can be transmitted or received.

5. What is the significance of finding the induced emf between the ends of an antenna?

By measuring the induced emf in an antenna, we can determine the strength and frequency of the electromagnetic waves being transmitted or received. This is crucial in the field of wireless communication and can help improve the design and efficiency of antennas.