Explaining Induced Voltage: -NBA/t

In summary: To calculate the voltage induced when cutting magnetic field lines you need to know the strength of the magnets in Gauss.
bigmack
Induced Voltage = -NBA/t
I know the equation, but could someone please explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/farlaw.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm that looks good, but how do you get "A" ?
oh and why is there a negative sign?

bigmack said:
hmm that looks good, but how do you get "A" ?
"A" is the area of the coil.
oh and why is there a negative sign?
Read about Lenz's law at the bottom of that same page.

ok. but how do you find the area of the coil?

bigmack said:
but how do you find the area of the coil?
Using a bit of geometry. For a circular coil, the area is [itex]\pi r^2[/itex].

ok so wait, does the radius of the coil include the diameter of the wiring?
or is it just the area within the coil, and not including the wire

Measure the radius to the center of the wire. (For thin enough wires, it won't matter.)

oh ok.

so let's just see if i get it.
to calculate the induced voltage, you check the area of the field, you multiply it with the strength of the magnet, divide by the speed of the wire and multiply by the number of turns of the wire.

wait, what are the units?
B is in Tesla, right? but what about A and t ?

bigmack said:
to calculate the induced voltage, you check the area of the field, you multiply it with the strength of the magnet, divide by the speed of the wire and multiply by the number of turns of the wire.
What you really want is: Induced Voltage = -N Δ(BA)/Δt, where Δ(BA)/Δt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux (BA). (Read the explanation on the website I linked.)
wait, what are the units?
B is in Tesla, right? but what about A and t ?
Yes, the magnetic field has units of Tesla. Area has units of meters²; time has units of seconds.

bigmack said:
Induced Voltage = -NBA/t
I know the equation, but could someone please explain it to me?

I'm not sure I understand the question. The induced emf on a coil of wire depends on the wire's shape, the rotation speed, the time dependence of the magnetic fields, and other specifics of the problem. The usual example is a coil of circular wire spinning in a constant magnetic field, in which case the induced voltage is,

[tex]emf = \omega NBA cos\left(\omega t\right)[/tex]

The equation you gave says that the induced emf will decay over time, tending to zero. What's the physical situation here?

Doc Al said:
What you really want is: Induced Voltage = -N Δ(BA)/Δt, where Δ(BA)/Δt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux (BA). (Read the explanation on the website I linked.)

Yes, the magnetic field has units of Tesla. Area has units of meters²; time has units of seconds.

Ok thanks, you've been a lot of help.

arunma said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. The induced emf on a coil of wire depends on the wire's shape, the rotation speed, the time dependence of the magnetic fields, and other specifics of the problem. The usual example is a coil of circular wire spinning in a constant magnetic field, in which case the induced voltage is,

[tex]emf = \omega NBA cos\left(\omega t\right)[/tex]

The equation you gave says that the induced emf will decay over time, tending to zero. What's the physical situation here?

Its the upper right picture in Doc Al's link, the one in which you move a magnet in a coil

wait no that's not what i meant.

im confused. what you're saying has a magnet cut the field lines. what i was thinking was the field lines could be cut by the coil, is that possible?

i mean can i place two magnets side by side, and drop a coil of wire in between them to induce voltage?

Help with Gauss

To calculate the voltage induced when cutting magnetic field lines you need to know the strength of the magnets in Gauss.

I was looking at some magnets I would like to buy for a project.
The magnets had 2 different values for the gauss.

"Brmax (Residual Induction) or Residual Flux Density "

and

"Surface Field (Surface Gauss)"

which reading is used to calculate the voltage induced?

Is there a specific problem you are trying to understand?

That formula you started the thread with is a simplified form of Faraday's law, as I tried to explain. A more useful form is what I gave in post #10 (and is described in the link). But that version is also limited to certain situations--a more complicated situation (where the coil rotates, for example) requires a different version of Faraday's law.

What are you trying to do?

ok.
im trying to generate current by cutting magnetic fields with wiring coiled around an iron core.

all i want to know is how much current I am going to get and the voltage too.

if you can help some more id really appreciate it

bigmack said:
ok.
im trying to generate current by cutting magnetic fields with wiring coiled around an iron core.

all i want to know is how much current I am going to get and the voltage too.
That's not a simple problem. You need to know the rate at which the magnetic flux through your coil is changing at any given time. That will allow you to find the induced voltage at that moment using Faraday's law.

so how would i do that?
the speed at which the coil cuts fields?
can you like just give me a worked out example, using whatever numbers you want.

hello??

What is induced voltage and how is it related to the NBA/t equation?

Induced voltage refers to the voltage that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. The NBA/t equation is used to calculate the magnitude of the induced voltage, where N is the number of turns in the conductor, B is the strength of the magnetic field, A is the area of the conductor, and t is the time it is exposed to the magnetic field.

How does induced voltage occur?

Induced voltage occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, is moved through a magnetic field or when a magnetic field is changed near a conductor. This movement or change in the magnetic field causes a change in the flux through the conductor, which in turn creates an induced voltage.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage?

The magnitude of induced voltage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor through the field, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor, and the number of turns in the conductor. A larger magnetic field, faster movement, and more turns will result in a higher induced voltage.

What are some practical applications of induced voltage?

Induced voltage has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, transformers used in power distribution, and inductive charging for electronic devices. It is also used in many industrial and scientific processes, such as electromagnetic forming and induction heating.

Can induced voltage be harmful?

Induced voltage can be harmful if it is strong enough to cause electric shock or damage to electronic devices. However, most devices are designed to handle a certain level of induced voltage. It is important to properly ground and shield sensitive equipment to protect against induced voltage.