Inducing a signal in a wire over a short distance

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChromeBit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Short Signal Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
ChromeBit
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hello!
I want to induce a (weak) signal in a wire across the room from me.
I was just wondering, how would I go about doing this if I couldn't touch the wire and couldn't modify the equipment to accept these signals BUT was close and in line of site of the wire?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Either a baseband signal, or a high frequency signal that fits inside the desired baseband signal (like an envelope in AM radio transmission).
 
I think you need to tell us a whole lot more about what you are trying to achieve
you info so far is just too vague

5 initial questions

1) where is the signal originating ?
2) is the signal being radiated by a purpose built transmitter ?
3) what specific freq range is this signal ?
4) what is this wire connected to?
5) how long is this wire and how far from the signal source ?

cheers
Dave
 
ChromeBit said:
Hello!
I want to induce a (weak) signal in a wire across the room from me.
I was just wondering, how would I go about doing this if I couldn't touch the wire and couldn't modify the equipment to accept these signals BUT was close and in line of site of the wire?
If I take your question literally, then the answer is "Use a walkie-talkie". Any radio transmission will cause minute electrical signals in local metallic objects.

If you want more information, your going to have to be more specific. For example, what is that "wire across the room" attached to? How are you going to determine that there is a signal on it?
 
ChromeBit said:
Hello!
I want to induce a (weak) signal in a wire across the room from me.
I was just wondering, how would I go about doing this if I couldn't touch the wire and couldn't modify the equipment to accept these signals BUT was close and in line of site of the wire?

I wonder if the OP's question is related to his thread from a month ago...

ChromeBit said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to get any answers here, but I was just wondering... have any of you ever used your physics (or engineering/electrical) knowledge to play some kind of prank on someone?